Announcements
Worried you’re missing part of your refund? Remember, the low and middle income tax offset isn’t a refund on its own – it’s used to offset (or reduce) the amount of tax you pay. The offset amount you may be entitled to is automatically applied and could range between $255-$1080, depending on things like your taxable income and how much tax you’ve paid.
Still not sure? Ask the Community

ATO Community

Re: Tax obligation whiles overseas due to COVID-19

Views 521

Replies 2

Hi,

I am Australian resident. I went and worked remotely overseas (in Vietnam) in late Dec 19. Due to COVID-19, I have been staying/working there until now and probably till next few months because the COVID is hitting Victoria and NSW again. 

I just wonder for the FY21, whether I am treated as Australian resident for tax purposes or non-Australian resident for tax purpose if I continue to stay and work overseas for the next few months?

Thank you.

Regards,

Anh

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Champion

Replies 1

Hi @Anh_Nguyen,

You can determine your tax residency by assessing your situation against our residency tests. From the information you have provided, it does appear that your permanant home is in Australia and you will spend a considerable amount of time here during the financial year. This would suggest that you would be an 'Australian resident for tax purposes'.

Hope this helps!

2 REPLIES 2

Most helpful response

Champion

Replies 1

Hi @Anh_Nguyen,

You can determine your tax residency by assessing your situation against our residency tests. From the information you have provided, it does appear that your permanant home is in Australia and you will spend a considerable amount of time here during the financial year. This would suggest that you would be an 'Australian resident for tax purposes'.

Hope this helps!

Replies 0