• 23304 Members
  • 27269 Posts

ATO Community

Tax refund delayed

Ask a question
Highlighted

Views 747

Replies 1

Hi there! Smiley Happy I lodged my tax through mygov on the 7th of July and it's only a smallish amount (under a grand) that I should be getting back as my tax return. When i ring up it says to wait til the 6th of august (30 calendar days). Well I don't mean to jump the gun but it's the 6th of august and it still says balancing accounts which is what it has said for a month now, I'm a uni student who barely makes ends meet each week so I was really looking forward to my tax return just wondering why it could still be delayed? Thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Best answer

ATO Certified

Devotee

Replies 0

Hi Emily,

Thanks for getting in touch. We can't guarantee that it's safe to discuss your personal information on a public forum, so we can't access your account or discuss the progress of your return here.

There are a few reasons why your return may take longer than 12 business days:

• you have recently lodged tax returns for previous years
  • you currently have a debt with us
  • you are under an Insolvency administration, e.g. bankruptcy or debt arrangement
  • we need to check information with other Australian Government agencies such as the Department of Human Services including Centrelink, Child Support or Family Assistance Office
  • we need to verify the information you have provided, including spouse details and private health insurance information or cross check the information with data from our own systems.

It sounds like you're close to or have passed the 30 day processing timeframes, so we may be able to investigate what's happening for you if you give us a call. Phone 13 28 61 between 8:00am and 6:00pm Monday to Friday and select option 5, then option 4 in our automated menu to speak to an operator.

Thanks!

1 REPLY 1

Best answer

ATO Certified

Devotee

Replies 0

Hi Emily,

Thanks for getting in touch. We can't guarantee that it's safe to discuss your personal information on a public forum, so we can't access your account or discuss the progress of your return here.

There are a few reasons why your return may take longer than 12 business days:

• you have recently lodged tax returns for previous years
  • you currently have a debt with us
  • you are under an Insolvency administration, e.g. bankruptcy or debt arrangement
  • we need to check information with other Australian Government agencies such as the Department of Human Services including Centrelink, Child Support or Family Assistance Office
  • we need to verify the information you have provided, including spouse details and private health insurance information or cross check the information with data from our own systems.

It sounds like you're close to or have passed the 30 day processing timeframes, so we may be able to investigate what's happening for you if you give us a call. Phone 13 28 61 between 8:00am and 6:00pm Monday to Friday and select option 5, then option 4 in our automated menu to speak to an operator.

Thanks!

Top Solution Authors