ATO Community

Tax residency - Aus citizen started Aus employment remotely in UK due to covid-19

Views 303

Replies 1

Hi, I was meant to be moving to Australia (Aus citizen living in UK) in April 2020 to start a new job with Australian employer. Due to covid-19 I couldn't get a flight until July 2020. So I did 3 months of FY2019-2020 tax year working remotely in the UK for an Australian employer. Prior to this I was working for a UK employer. I've not lived in Australia since 2005 and have an old TFN reactivated for this new employment. My employer has submitted an income statement and I have been taxed but I think it is not at the overseas rate.

Lodging for 2019-2020 FY, do I select 'not resident of Australia for tax purposes' and leave the dates field blank? Or is there exception for covid-19 as I had to work remotely for just 3 months (1st April 2020 contract start date to 8th July 2020)?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @mpia10,

You'll need to work out your tax residency before lodging. There's a few tests you can try to determine if you're a resident for tax purposes, so have a read.

There's also a tool to help work it out once you're in Australia.

If you're not a resident for tax purposes, select "No" at this question, and leave the part year resident field blank.

There are no COVID-19 exceptions for tax residency.

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @mpia10,

You'll need to work out your tax residency before lodging. There's a few tests you can try to determine if you're a resident for tax purposes, so have a read.

There's also a tool to help work it out once you're in Australia.

If you're not a resident for tax purposes, select "No" at this question, and leave the part year resident field blank.

There are no COVID-19 exceptions for tax residency.