Announcements
Looking for information on the JobKeeper extension? Watch the video in our latest news article.

ATO Community

Tax return after updating bank details

Highlighted

Views 676

Replies 1

Good afternoon

My tax return was processed, and I received a text suggesting i will have my return in 3days. Since i did not receive my return I checked my details with ato, and realised I forgot to update my bank details after changing banks. I have updated it now, and was wondering of you could tell me how long would it take for my return to come to the new nominated Bank account.

Ps i did not receive any text saying the bank details were incorrect, prior. And i also confirmed with my old bank(details that were with ato, while processing the refund) that my account has been closed for a long time.

Awaiting your reply

Regards
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Community Support

Replies 0

Hello @Vboghani,

Sorry to hear that you're having difficulties!

If you have updated your bank account details, the refund should issue via EFT within 10 days of the refund being returned to us.

If the bank account details were not updated in time, then we will re-issue your refund by cheque within that same time, but you may have to allow for postage times as well.

Unfortunately, there isn't any way to get the refund any faster as it is an automated process. Any escalations that we may be able to complete can take up to 28 days to process with our accounts team.

You can keep an eye out on that account balance on your ATO Online account through Mygov, as when we are able to reissue the refund it will appear as a new transaction in your Income Tax account.

In order to avoid delays in the future, you should ensure that all of your details are up to date before you lodge your next tax return.

I hope this was helpful, but please let me know if you have any other questions.

LukeS

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Community Support

Replies 0

Hello @Vboghani,

Sorry to hear that you're having difficulties!

If you have updated your bank account details, the refund should issue via EFT within 10 days of the refund being returned to us.

If the bank account details were not updated in time, then we will re-issue your refund by cheque within that same time, but you may have to allow for postage times as well.

Unfortunately, there isn't any way to get the refund any faster as it is an automated process. Any escalations that we may be able to complete can take up to 28 days to process with our accounts team.

You can keep an eye out on that account balance on your ATO Online account through Mygov, as when we are able to reissue the refund it will appear as a new transaction in your Income Tax account.

In order to avoid delays in the future, you should ensure that all of your details are up to date before you lodge your next tax return.

I hope this was helpful, but please let me know if you have any other questions.

LukeS