ATO Community

Re: Teaching a language occasionally: Hobby or PSI?

I'm new

Views 472

Replies 1

Hi, 

Not sure if anyone could help me with this question:

I was asked to teach language at a language school for 10 times only during the last financial year. The class was on a fixed day and time at night. The reason I was asked was to cover one of my friends who teach there was not available to teach during that period of time. I am not going to do this type of teaching any more. I filled in 'Statement by a Supplier' form stating that no ABN required. I received cash for my work.

Can I treat this income (around $600) as a hobby? Or do I need to claim this under PSI? I do not have ABN at all.

Thanks in advance,

HKitty.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Champion

Replies 0

Hi @HKitty,

You can determine if you are undertaking a business or a hobby by reviewing our page.

As you only did for a short period of time and do not plan on continuing it, that would suggest that you were completing it as a hobby. If you were to continue earning income from this role, then you may have to consider applying for an ABN.

Hope this helps!

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

Champion

Replies 0

Hi @HKitty,

You can determine if you are undertaking a business or a hobby by reviewing our page.

As you only did for a short period of time and do not plan on continuing it, that would suggest that you were completing it as a hobby. If you were to continue earning income from this role, then you may have to consider applying for an ABN.

Hope this helps!