Announcements
Looking for information on the JobKeeper extension? Check out our answers to common questions the community has been asking.

ATO Community

Re: The 6 year Absent from Main Residence Rule

Highlighted

Initiate

Views 68

Replies 3

Hi,

If I rented out my main resident for some time (less than 6 years) and then decided to sell it, do I have to move back in  before the sale to be eligible for CGT exemption?

OR can I just sell it and still be eligible for full exemption?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Community Support

Replies 2

Hi @Suraweera,

If you originally lived in the property then moved out and retained it as your main residence and are an Australian resident for tax purposes, you can utilise the 6yr absence rule. If you own another property you can only claim main residence exemption on one property at any given time. 

If you do not exceed the 6yrs you can sell the property and not be liable for CGT. If it was rented out prior to you living in it as your main residence, you would be entitled to a partial exemption.  

Hope this helps.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Community Support

Replies 2

Hi @Suraweera,

If you originally lived in the property then moved out and retained it as your main residence and are an Australian resident for tax purposes, you can utilise the 6yr absence rule. If you own another property you can only claim main residence exemption on one property at any given time. 

If you do not exceed the 6yrs you can sell the property and not be liable for CGT. If it was rented out prior to you living in it as your main residence, you would be entitled to a partial exemption.  

Hope this helps.

Highlighted

Initiate

Replies 1

Thanks Jodie2. 

I just wanted to make sure whether the owner has to move back in before the sale (before 6yrs) to be eligible ?

Highlighted

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Suraweera,

As advised, as long as they have lived in it previously and have not exceeded the 6yr absence rule this would be fine to sell without moving back in. You can use the links provided for further information.

Hope this helps.