• 23142 Members
  • 26888 Posts

ATO Community

Travel deductions

Ask a question
Highlighted

Views 53

Replies 2

I travel form Sydney to Melbourne a couple of times a year for a max of 5 nights at a time. I work as a contractor (PAYG not self employed). When I travel, I pay for my own meals, car rental, flights, etc. and I don’t claim these back from my employer.

Can I claim these as a deduction when I do my tax return? What records do I need to keep?

Also for meals can I claim the max allowance set by the ATO rather than having to keep receipts for the actual costs?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @MR _xavier81,

@macfanboy is correct.

We have some info on our website about travel expenses, what you can claim and what documentation you need.

Thanks @NateH

2 REPLIES 2

Taxicorn

Replies 0

First of all, if you are required to travel for work then your employer really needs to compensate you $ for $ for your expenses as a reimbursement, if they do you will get back 100% of what you spent.

Any deductions that you claim in a tax return you will only get back at your nominal tax rate. 

If you also don't receive a "Travel Allowance" from your employer then you are required to keep all receipts for anything claimed.

You can not claim the maximum allowance.

Having a letter from your employer stating this travel was work-related will also help.

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @MR _xavier81,

@macfanboy is correct.

We have some info on our website about travel expenses, what you can claim and what documentation you need.

Thanks @NateH

Top Solution Authors