Announcements
Looking for information on the JobKeeper extension? Watch the video in our latest news article.

ATO Community

Travel expenses

Highlighted

I'm new

Views 832

Replies 2

Hi - we recently relocated from Sydney back to Brisbane for personal reasons.

Since returning back, I have been travelling interstate to Sydney at my own expense, which was an arrangement that the empployer has accepted by mutual discussion and by my conduct. I have recently been made a permanent job offer and will continue to travel to Sydney at my own expense. Although I have a verbal agreement with my employer that this will continue to be an acceptable arrangement, there is nothing in writing on this arrangement. Although it's a flexible arrangement which suits me, given there is nothing formal I'm unsure whether I can claim any of my travel expenses to and from Sydney.

I stay with extended family when I'm down in Sydney, and would not be looking to claim any board I pay or any meals, however I'm

wondering if all or any proportion of my flight costs are allowable to claim as these are significant expenses.

There is no coverage of my particular circumstances on the ATO website or information brochures about claiming for travel expenses and it's not specific on what I must do to confirm whether I can claim or not. I want to get this right and ensure I only claim what I am entitled to.

Any guidance or assistance of what I must do would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Sam

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Devotee

Replies 0

Hi @sgbeer,

Thanks for your question! Trips between home and work are generally considered to be private travel - whether the travel is conducted by car, public transport or by air.

There are very limited circumstances where you can claim travel between home and work:

• where you're travelling directly between two separate workplaces
  • where you're travelling from your normal workplace to an alternative workplace which is not a regular workplace
  • where you have shifting places of employment
  • where you need to carry bulky tools or equipment your employer requires you use for work and couldn't leave them at your workplace.

Check out taxation ruling TR 95/34 Income tax: employees carrying out itinerant work - deductions, allowances and reimbursemen... for more detailed information and examples.

Hope that helps!

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

Taxicorn

Replies 0

The cost of travelling to and from work is a personal expense no matter how far away you live.

You have decide to move back to Brisbane and commute to sydney so no part will be deductable.

Highlighted

Most helpful response

Devotee

Replies 0

Hi @sgbeer,

Thanks for your question! Trips between home and work are generally considered to be private travel - whether the travel is conducted by car, public transport or by air.

There are very limited circumstances where you can claim travel between home and work:

• where you're travelling directly between two separate workplaces
  • where you're travelling from your normal workplace to an alternative workplace which is not a regular workplace
  • where you have shifting places of employment
  • where you need to carry bulky tools or equipment your employer requires you use for work and couldn't leave them at your workplace.

Check out taxation ruling TR 95/34 Income tax: employees carrying out itinerant work - deductions, allowances and reimbursemen... for more detailed information and examples.

Hope that helps!