Announcements
Worried you’re missing part of your refund? Remember, the low and middle income tax offset isn’t a refund on its own – it’s used to offset (or reduce) the amount of tax you pay. The offset amount you may be entitled to is automatically applied and could range between $255-$1080, depending on things like your taxable income and how much tax you’ve paid.
Still not sure? Ask the Community

ATO Community

Updating name with ATO while living abroad

I'm new

Views 490

Replies 2

Hello! 

I was born abroad, moved to Australia and obtained citizenship through my parents, and have since moved to a different country all together. I got married to a non-Australian while still abroad, and contacted the Australian embassy in Japan (where i'm currently located) about changing my name. They allowed me to change my name on my Australian passport to match the romanized version of my husband's family name using an apostilised record of his Japanese family register that included me as a part of it.

I want to update the details I have on the ATO to match my new name but as the marriage is foreign, I can't do this through the MyGov/ATO online portal as I lack the following:

Australian Birth Certificate → I was born overseas
Australian Marriage Certificate → I was married overseas
Australian Name Change Ceritificate → Not available as a consular service at our embassy.

I also can't register the change with the Australian Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages as the change didn't take place in an Australian state. 

I have just lodged my taxes for the 2019-2020 year, but I realised that it's still under my name before marriage along with other accounts in Australia, but I can't make changes to my ATO account or bank as I can't obtain any certification showing the change aside from my new passport. Please advise on how I can make the change through the ATO while not being in Australia. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hey @Littlix,

While yeah, you could call us, I'm usually someone who answers these calls, so let me answer it for you instead! No international calling fees required. Smiley Happy

In order to update your name online or during a call where we verify the document, you would need to have one of the following:

• Australian Birth certificate (not extract)

• Australian Marriage certificate

• Australian Change of name certificate. 

If you don't have any Australian identity documents, you will need to send a Change of details for individuals form with translated (if relevant) and certified copies of one of the following documents that shows your new name:

• Overseas passport

• Overseas birth certificate

• National photo identification card

• Overseas government issued identification

• Overseas marriage certificate, or

• Driver's licence - the address on the licence must match the client's address on ATO systems.

Keep in mind that it will take up to 28 days for us to process your change of details form once we receive it. Be sure to account for postage times.

2 REPLIES 2

Taxicorn

Replies 0

@Littlix 

You would have to contact the ATO on 13 72 86 and see what they can do without the recognized documents.

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hey @Littlix,

While yeah, you could call us, I'm usually someone who answers these calls, so let me answer it for you instead! No international calling fees required. Smiley Happy

In order to update your name online or during a call where we verify the document, you would need to have one of the following:

• Australian Birth certificate (not extract)

• Australian Marriage certificate

• Australian Change of name certificate. 

If you don't have any Australian identity documents, you will need to send a Change of details for individuals form with translated (if relevant) and certified copies of one of the following documents that shows your new name:

• Overseas passport

• Overseas birth certificate

• National photo identification card

• Overseas government issued identification

• Overseas marriage certificate, or

• Driver's licence - the address on the licence must match the client's address on ATO systems.

Keep in mind that it will take up to 28 days for us to process your change of details form once we receive it. Be sure to account for postage times.