Announcements
Looking for information on the JobKeeper extension? Check out our answers to common questions the community has been asking.

ATO Community

Re: Where’s my tax refund?

Highlighted

Initiate

Views 4702

Replies 6

I lodged my tax return 14 days ago. I usually get my refund inside the week – is anyone else having trouble getting their refund?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Initiate

Replies 0

@Wizzzzard, Sorry to say, but @Stark's right. If you send them a paper form, it’ll take up to 10 weeks.
@iamamyif your tax return was pretty basic and you lodged online, you can have a look in myGov to see how it’s going. The ATO’s Tracking your refund page gives you a pretty clear explanation on what the statuses in myGov mean.

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted

Initiate

Replies 0

How did you lodge your tax return? I think I read somewhere that it can take longer if you send them a paper return.

Initiate

Replies 0

What do you mean by longer?! I lodged by paper last week and I need it to pay someone back

Highlighted

Most helpful response

Initiate

Replies 0

@Wizzzzard, Sorry to say, but @Stark's right. If you send them a paper form, it’ll take up to 10 weeks.
@iamamyif your tax return was pretty basic and you lodged online, you can have a look in myGov to see how it’s going. The ATO’s Tracking your refund page gives you a pretty clear explanation on what the statuses in myGov mean.

Highlighted

Replies 0

Same here...my effective date was 14th.  Still says under review Smiley Sad

Highlighted

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Happy_seaL

Welcome to our Community!

@Dan7485 is right - the Tracking your refund page provides you with information on how to  track your refund.

We aim to process electronic returns within 12 business days, however sometimes it may take longer if we need additional information from you. If it has been longer than 12 business day you can contact us on 13 28 61 between 8am - 6pm, Monday – Friday and select options 2 then option 2 to speak with an operator about your return.

Hope this helps.

Highlighted

Anonymous

Replies 0

The ATO has service standards as well as a taxpayer charter to abide by.

ATO service standards can be seen here =  

https://www.ato.gov.au/tax-professionals/prepare-and-lodge/tax-time-2018/prepare-for-tax-time/our-se...

ATO taxpayer charter can be seen here =

https://www.ato.gov.au/about-ato/commitments-and-reporting/taxpayers--charter/taxpayers--charter---w...

If for some reason you believe that your refund has been delayed past those service standards and you have not received any reasons from the ATO or have received reasons from the ATO that you consider are not valid, then you can lodge a complaint.

One of the better ways to lodge a complaint if you want a faster response is to do it via the ATO complaints hotline -

https://www.ato.gov.au/about-ato/commitments-and-reporting/taxpayers--charter/taxpayers--charter---w...

When you initially register your complaint, the initial ATO officer that you speak with will take all appropriate information and after that a resolutions officer will be in touch in 3 business days to officially review your complaint.