Announcements
Looking for information on the JobKeeper extension? Check out our answers to common questions the community has been asking.

ATO Community

Re: Tax refund delayed

Highlighted

Views 4475

Replies 4

I recently amended my tax return online and it now shows a payment effective date of 21/11/17. Prior to the amendment my refund was showing an effective date of 14/07/17. Is this a system error?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Devotee

Replies 0

Hey @BS884749

The service standard for an amendment is 20 business days when you lodge it electroncially. If you have lodged an amendment before your return has been processed it may cause an error so could take longer but I wouldnt expect it to be November, I'd be a tad worried to if I seen that date as well.  If you haven't received it after 30 days then call us, keep an eye on your Account balance in MyGov and hopefully the effective date will update correctly.

Please note this is my personal view; I’m an ATO employee who chooses to help out here in my own time

Please note this is my personal view; I’m an ATO employee who chooses to help out here in my own time
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Devotee

Replies 0

Hey @BS884749

The service standard for an amendment is 20 business days when you lodge it electroncially. If you have lodged an amendment before your return has been processed it may cause an error so could take longer but I wouldnt expect it to be November, I'd be a tad worried to if I seen that date as well.  If you haven't received it after 30 days then call us, keep an eye on your Account balance in MyGov and hopefully the effective date will update correctly.

Highlighted

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @BS884749,

Welcome to our Community!

@Tracey74 is right - you can find information on how to track the progress of your return and amendment on our website.

We aim to process amendments lodged electronically within 20 business days. We'll contact you if we need more information or your amendment is really complex.  If the service standard has passed and you haven't received your new notice of assessment you can phone us on 13 28 61 between 8am - 6pm, Monday – Friday and select options 2 then option 2 to speak with an operator about your return. 

Hope this helps.

Replies 0

Hi, 

I've got the exact same issue but as im abroad im unable to call to discuss it with ato, please could you let me know whether you have recieved your refund as of yet/ what they told you when you called them. 

Thanks.

Highlighted

Anonymous

Replies 0

The ATO has service standards as well as a taxpayer charter to abide by.

ATO service standards can be seen here =  

https://www.ato.gov.au/tax-professionals/prepare-and-lodge/tax-time-2017/prepare-for-tax-time/our-se...

ATO taxpayer charter can be seen here =

https://www.ato.gov.au/About-ATO/Commitments-and-reporting/Taxpayers--Charter/Taxpayers--Charter---w...

If for some reason you believe that your refund has been delayed past those service standards and you have not received any reasons from the ATO or have received reasons from the ATO that you consider are not valid, then you can lodge a complaint.

One of the better ways to lodge a complaint if you want a faster response is to do it via the ATO complaints hotline -

https://www.ato.gov.au/About-ATO/Contact-us/Complaints,-compliments-and-suggestions/Complaints/

When you initially register your complaint, the initial ATO officer that you speak with will take all appropriate information and after that a resolutions officer will be in touch in 3 business days to officially review your complaint.