Announcements
The JobKeeper Payment scheme finished on 28 March 2021. Find out what this means for your business.

ATO Community

Work From Home Deduction - Hello My 'Rona

Views 396

Replies 1

Hi all,

34, male, permanently fully employed (5+years in same role - 10+ years public servant).

I rent my unit off a family member on the agreement of $480 pw made up of $400 payment and $80 inkind recognition as an onsite manager. 

I don't know if they treat that as $80 pw or if they view the situation as simply $400 pw rent.  This is simply how we came up with the $400 number nearly a decade ago.

For most of the last ten years I have rented out two of the other rooms (three room apartment).

I was sent to "work from home" at the start of the CoVID-19 situation.  I am aware of how to deal with electricity - etc.

One of my two housemates has just left.

I will still be working from home one, two or three days per week.

Where do I stand if I make the third room - which normally provides $165.00 pw - a dedicated one, two or three day per week work study?

Essentially - If I have a dedicated work room, for just one, two, three days - can I claim the lost $165?  Or do I claim the lost $165 divided by the days I work from home?  (my work from home days are set to fluctuate).

Thank you in advance!

D

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @dasmith86 ,

You can't claim home office expenses relating to any foregone rent - its related to the use of your assets at home and extra expenses, due to working from home.

There are three methods of claiming now, please see Working from home during covid-19 for more information.

Hope this helps,

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @dasmith86 ,

You can't claim home office expenses relating to any foregone rent - its related to the use of your assets at home and extra expenses, due to working from home.

There are three methods of claiming now, please see Working from home during covid-19 for more information.

Hope this helps,