Announcements
Looking for information on the JobKeeper extension? Watch the video in our latest news article.

ATO Community

Re: Work related expense - bicycle

Highlighted

I'm new

Views 5115

Replies 2

I'm required to inspect and ride bikeways as part of my job as a civil engineer. My company does not provide any bikes. Is a bike a work related expense in this case, for the proportion of time I use it for work activities? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @DH,

Welcome to our Community!

Generally speaking, you may be able to claim a deduction for the cost of work-related expenses you incur while performing your job as an employee that directly relate to your work are to earning your income. To claim a work-related deduction:

• you must have spent the money yourself and weren't reimbursed
  • it must be directly related to earning your income
  • you must have a record to prove it.

If the expense incurred was both work-related and private or domestic in nature, customers can claim a deduction only for the work-related portion of the expense.

You can find more information on our website, including information about deductions for specific industries and occupations. Alternatively, if you have further questions, you can phone us on 13 28 61 between 8am - 6pm, Monday to Friday to speak with an operator.

Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

Taxicorn

Replies 0

As long as you have in writing that you are required to "ride the bikeways", then I would think that a bycle would be tax deductable.

As long as you break it down to work v personal %.

Highlighted

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @DH,

Welcome to our Community!

Generally speaking, you may be able to claim a deduction for the cost of work-related expenses you incur while performing your job as an employee that directly relate to your work are to earning your income. To claim a work-related deduction:

• you must have spent the money yourself and weren't reimbursed
  • it must be directly related to earning your income
  • you must have a record to prove it.

If the expense incurred was both work-related and private or domestic in nature, customers can claim a deduction only for the work-related portion of the expense.

You can find more information on our website, including information about deductions for specific industries and occupations. Alternatively, if you have further questions, you can phone us on 13 28 61 between 8am - 6pm, Monday to Friday to speak with an operator.

Thanks.