Announcements
Are you a tax professional needing a bit more time to lodge? Check out how to apply online for a deferral, or ask the Community!

ATO Community

Re: Work related transport expenses

Initiate

Views 154

Replies 3

Hi team,

hope you are well.

I have some queries about travel expenses between two jobs. My brother works in two different aged care. During weekends when he finishes his job in one aged care he catches uber and pays $25 for a single trip to travel from one aged care to another one. So he spend altogether $50 on Uber ($25 on Saturday and $25 on Sunday). The amount spent is for the travel between two different jobs, he catches train for home to work and vice versa. So, can he claim $50 per week on travel deduction while lodging his tax return, since he has all the receipts.

Also, sometimes after he finishes his one job, he catches bus for half of his trip and takes Uber for the next half of his trip to another job to minimise travel cost, can he still claim for the bus and uber ride as travel deduction as long as he retains the receipt.

kind regards,

Strepsil

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 2

Hi @Strepsil,

That's right, work-related travel expenses also include the cost of trips - between two separate places of employment when you have a second job, providing one of those places is not your home. See work related travel expenses

**04/08/2021 - edited for correction**

3 REPLIES 3

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 2

Hi @Strepsil,

That's right, work-related travel expenses also include the cost of trips - between two separate places of employment when you have a second job, providing one of those places is not your home. See work related travel expenses

**04/08/2021 - edited for correction**

Initiate

Replies 1

Hi team, 

I read the section "work related travel expenses" which you highlighted in your reply.

I will quote exactly what it says.

"Work related travel expenses also include the cost of trips:

between two separate places of employment when you have a second job, providing one of those places is not your home "

So, as per this clause he can claim $50 which is the cost of travel from one job to another  job.

Could you please double check and reply to me at your earliest convenience.

Thanks for your cooperation 

Regards,

Strepsil

Community Moderator

Replies 0

Good spot @Strepsil that's correct. Repsonse above has been updated. Thank you Smiley Happy