Announcements
Looking for information on the JobKeeper extension? Check out our answers to common questions the community has been asking.

ATO Community

Working for an American company in Australia as a dual citizen

Highlighted

Views 67

Replies 1

Hi,

I’m a Australian/American dual citizen, currently residing in America, but looking to move to Australia. I’m a full-time employee of an American company, and I’m allowed to work remotely.

When I move to Australia, am I allowed to keep my remote job? They would be depositing American money into my bank account. What are my tax obligations? Do I have to pay tax in Australia? Would my employer be considered an Australian company, and subsequently have obligations?

Is it better to become a self-employed contractor in Australia and get paid from the company this way? What is the best situation?
Thank you for your assistance,

Alex
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Dynamo

Replies 0

Hi @Alex_brit

Thank you for reaching out to our community.

Information about international tax for individuals can be found on our webpage.

You would need to work out your tax residency situation and then follow the guidelines for dual residents.

Hope this is helpful.

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Dynamo

Replies 0

Hi @Alex_brit

Thank you for reaching out to our community.

Information about international tax for individuals can be found on our webpage.

You would need to work out your tax residency situation and then follow the guidelines for dual residents.

Hope this is helpful.