Announcements
Worried you’re missing part of your refund? Remember, the low and middle income tax offset isn’t a refund on its own – it’s used to offset (or reduce) the amount of tax you pay. The offset amount you may be entitled to is automatically applied and could range between $255-$1080, depending on things like your taxable income and how much tax you’ve paid.
Still not sure? Ask the Community

ATO Community

Working for an Australian company overseas

Views 1084

Replies 1

Hi!

I am currently employed by an Australia company and have been working remotely for the past 2 years. Once the international borders open, I am planning on splitting my time between Australia and Indonesia where some of my family members live. I wanted to understand if there is any implications in regards to tax and super payments or will my employment continue the same as long as I am not working for an overseas entity?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @kendallc,

have a look to see if you're an Australian resident for tax purposes

If you are a foreign resident for tax purposes you would be paying tax on your Australian income.

When you are an Australian resident for tax purposes you are taxed on your worldwide income.

So, it depends on what residency status you are and how you have been paying tax to work out if it going to change.

You can check if you are eligible to receive superannuation under the super guarantee system.

Happy travels.

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @kendallc,

have a look to see if you're an Australian resident for tax purposes

If you are a foreign resident for tax purposes you would be paying tax on your Australian income.

When you are an Australian resident for tax purposes you are taxed on your worldwide income.

So, it depends on what residency status you are and how you have been paying tax to work out if it going to change.

You can check if you are eligible to receive superannuation under the super guarantee system.

Happy travels.