Announcements
Looking for information on the JobKeeper extension? Check out our answers to common questions the community has been asking.

ATO Community

Working remotely in NZ

Highlighted

I'm new

Views 179

Replies 1

Hi 

MIy husband and I moved to Australia from New Zealand at the start of 2020. Due to COVID-19, we are now moving back to NZ.

My employer (Australian company) has offered to extend my contract and for me to continue working in New Zealand remotely until the end of the year. I would no longer be Australian tax resident as fail the tax residency tests.

I understand that I will then need to pay tax in New Zealand on my world wide income, but would this income be derived in Australia or NZ and therefore what tax rate would my employer deduct?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Community Support

Replies 0

hi @sassroul,

Thanks for reaching out to ATO Community.

Please refer to Tax on Australian income for foreign residents which states:

As a foreign resident, you must lodge a tax return in Australia. You must pay tax on all Australian-sourced income, except for income that has already been correctly taxed (such as interest, unfranked dividends and royalties).

Please see further information when you become a foreign resident and foreign resident tax rates on our website.

All the best and I hope this helps.

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Community Support

Replies 0

hi @sassroul,

Thanks for reaching out to ATO Community.

Please refer to Tax on Australian income for foreign residents which states:

As a foreign resident, you must lodge a tax return in Australia. You must pay tax on all Australian-sourced income, except for income that has already been correctly taxed (such as interest, unfranked dividends and royalties).

Please see further information when you become a foreign resident and foreign resident tax rates on our website.

All the best and I hope this helps.