Announcements
Halloween costumes are spooky but your tax return doesn't have to be. Don't forget to lodge this weekend!

ATO Community

Would the ATO call me to tell me my return is being audited?

Highlighted

Views 924

Replies 1

Would the ATO advise by telephone that
1. You are being audited
2. It is too late for any recourse as the tax return has been lodged
3. That you will not be receiving a return and you owe ATO $300 ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Devotee

Replies 0

Hi @Jedda!

Thanks for getting in touch! It's great to see you're keeping an eye out for scam callers.

We'd need to ask some personal questions to confirm your identity before we could access your account to confirm whether the call was from us. We strongly discourage people from sharing these kinds of details on a public forum like this, so we'd suggest you give us a call on 1800 008 540 between 8.00am–6.00pm, Monday to Friday.

Our officers can confirm your details over the phone, access your account and let you know if the call was from us or not.

If you receive a call claiming to be from the ATO and you're not sure it's legitimate:

• Ask the officer for their name and the receipt ID number for the call
  • Phone us back on a publicly listed number or on 1800 008 540

We can then take down the details of any scam calls for future investigation.

Thanks!

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Devotee

Replies 0

Hi @Jedda!

Thanks for getting in touch! It's great to see you're keeping an eye out for scam callers.

We'd need to ask some personal questions to confirm your identity before we could access your account to confirm whether the call was from us. We strongly discourage people from sharing these kinds of details on a public forum like this, so we'd suggest you give us a call on 1800 008 540 between 8.00am–6.00pm, Monday to Friday.

Our officers can confirm your details over the phone, access your account and let you know if the call was from us or not.

If you receive a call claiming to be from the ATO and you're not sure it's legitimate:

• Ask the officer for their name and the receipt ID number for the call
  • Phone us back on a publicly listed number or on 1800 008 540

We can then take down the details of any scam calls for future investigation.

Thanks!