Announcements
We understand 2020 has been difficult and we're here to try and make it easier during tax time. Search posts, read articles or ask a question.

ATO Community

capital gains on capital loss (shares)

Highlighted

Views 679

Replies 5

I made a loss on my sharetrading in the 2018 year. These were real losses which occurred when I sold my shares.

I just received a letter from the ATO asking if I had made a capital gain on my shares.

Is there somewhere on my return that I have to complete when I make a capital loss?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

Replies 3

thanks Macfanboy, do i just record a minus in front of the number or do i put the number in brackets? Sorry about that, I am a bit of a numpty here!

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted

Taxicorn

Replies 4

Yes item 18 V (Net Capital losses carried forward to later income years)

They know that you sold the shares so there has to be either a gain or loss recorded.

This loss gets carried forward until you make a gain and can offset it.

Highlighted

Best answer

Replies 3

thanks Macfanboy, do i just record a minus in front of the number or do i put the number in brackets? Sorry about that, I am a bit of a numpty here!

Highlighted

Replies 1

scratch that,  I think I have found it, thanks again!

Highlighted

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @mikey_t,

Welcome to our Community.

The information @macfanboy has provided is correct.

You may also like to refer to capital losses on shares and units, how to complete the CGT schedule, and there is also a personal investors guide to capital gains tax 2018 available on our website.

If you have any further questions, phone us on 13 28 61 between 8am - 6pm, Monday to Friday to speak with a customer service representative.

Hope this helps, SueO

Highlighted

Taxicorn

Replies 0

No brackets no minus sign, it is assumed that any value in that box is a loss.

So just put in the actual value.