Announcements
Looking for information on the JobKeeper extension? Watch the video in our latest news article.

ATO Community

intercountry tax query

Highlighted

I'm new

Views 356

Replies 1

hi

i have been a non-resident for an entire year  but my company has paid the tax to ATO and i have claimed the refund and got money back.

My question is as i was a non-resident can i claim the entire tax paid to ATO back ? there was an audit done and i had to pay good amount of money back for expenses which i had lost the receipts for as well as not able to be substantiated after due diligence was done.

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Community Support

Replies 0

Hello @swaz,

Welcome to our Community! 

Lodging a tax return will be required to determine if you are entitled to a refund.

You should check your Residency status to ensure you are lodging the tax return correctly as if you are a Non-Resident you’d be taxed at a higher rate than if you were considered a resident for tax purposes. As a Resident you will have access to the Tax Free threshold and the Resident rates of tax.

As a Non-Resident you don’t need to include your World-Wide income except for the purposes of HELP repayments but if you are a Resident you will need to include your World Wide income to determine how much you will need to pay in tax. World-wide income may also be eligible for a Foreign Income Tax Offset.

In order to claim deductions you must be able to substantiate the claims.  

LukeS

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Community Support

Replies 0

Hello @swaz,

Welcome to our Community! 

Lodging a tax return will be required to determine if you are entitled to a refund.

You should check your Residency status to ensure you are lodging the tax return correctly as if you are a Non-Resident you’d be taxed at a higher rate than if you were considered a resident for tax purposes. As a Resident you will have access to the Tax Free threshold and the Resident rates of tax.

As a Non-Resident you don’t need to include your World-Wide income except for the purposes of HELP repayments but if you are a Resident you will need to include your World Wide income to determine how much you will need to pay in tax. World-wide income may also be eligible for a Foreign Income Tax Offset.

In order to claim deductions you must be able to substantiate the claims.  

LukeS