Announcements
Looking for information on the JobKeeper extension? Check out our answers to common questions the community has been asking.

ATO Community

intercountry tax query

Highlighted

I'm new

Views 313

Replies 1

hi

i have been a non-resident for an entire year  but my company has paid the tax to ATO and i have claimed the refund and got money back.

My question is as i was a non-resident can i claim the entire tax paid to ATO back ? there was an audit done and i had to pay good amount of money back for expenses which i had lost the receipts for as well as not able to be substantiated after due diligence was done.

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Community Support

Replies 0

Hello @swaz,

Welcome to our Community! 

Lodging a tax return will be required to determine if you are entitled to a refund.

You should check your Residency status to ensure you are lodging the tax return correctly as if you are a Non-Resident you’d be taxed at a higher rate than if you were considered a resident for tax purposes. As a Resident you will have access to the Tax Free threshold and the Resident rates of tax.

As a Non-Resident you don’t need to include your World-Wide income except for the purposes of HELP repayments but if you are a Resident you will need to include your World Wide income to determine how much you will need to pay in tax. World-wide income may also be eligible for a Foreign Income Tax Offset.

In order to claim deductions you must be able to substantiate the claims.  

LukeS

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Community Support

Replies 0

Hello @swaz,

Welcome to our Community! 

Lodging a tax return will be required to determine if you are entitled to a refund.

You should check your Residency status to ensure you are lodging the tax return correctly as if you are a Non-Resident you’d be taxed at a higher rate than if you were considered a resident for tax purposes. As a Resident you will have access to the Tax Free threshold and the Resident rates of tax.

As a Non-Resident you don’t need to include your World-Wide income except for the purposes of HELP repayments but if you are a Resident you will need to include your World Wide income to determine how much you will need to pay in tax. World-wide income may also be eligible for a Foreign Income Tax Offset.

In order to claim deductions you must be able to substantiate the claims.  

LukeS