Announcements
We’re doing scheduled maintenance on ATO Community to bring you a bigger, better and brighter online community.
You may see us go into read-only mode over the weekend while we do this. Don’t worry! You’ll still be able to search the site to find your answers.

ATO Community

payment obligation

Initiate

Views 805

Replies 4

Hi Team,

While i was about to prepare for tax return for the year 2019-2020, there i saw the payment obligation of around $120 (example). Anyway i started filling up the information and the refund estimate was around $ 900(example). i have not lodged the tax return yet, i just saved and exit the informaton. So, I don't really know where that $120 came from since every year my tax return is pretty basic and straightforward. Also, if i lodge and receive $900 do i still need to pay $120 or will the payment obligation simply disappear from my gov after i receive $900, or will i just get $780 after they deduct $120. 

Thanks for your cooperation.

Kind regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 1

Hi @Strepsil,

Thank you for your reply. As advised if you have a current debt with the ATO the credit will offset the debt amount and you recieve the difference. You also need to consider any outstanding debt with any other Govt' agency like Child Support or Centrelink. If this was the case credit amounts would be offset to them after ATO debt is paid. 

Hope this helps.  

Regards,

Jodie2.

4 REPLIES 4

Former Community Support

Replies 3

Hi @Strepsil ,

As per Your notice of assessment , to calculate your tax payable/refundable in your Notice of assessment (NOA), (quote from mentioned webpage), "we offset credits to other tax debts (or debts you have with other government agencies)" (italics added; was referring to a statement of account, but this still applies for NOA's). I'm not sure whether this debt has come from either, but there will be a contact phone on the NOA when you receive it, if you have any more enquiries(if lodging in myTax, then your NOA will be in your myGov inbox).

Initiate

Replies 2

Hi WainWright,

Thanks for the reply, I found out how the debt was incurred, so do I need to pay before I lodge the tax return or will the ATO adjust the payable amount from the estimated refundable amount after I lodge the return.

Regards

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 1

Hi @Strepsil,

Thank you for your reply. As advised if you have a current debt with the ATO the credit will offset the debt amount and you recieve the difference. You also need to consider any outstanding debt with any other Govt' agency like Child Support or Centrelink. If this was the case credit amounts would be offset to them after ATO debt is paid. 

Hope this helps.  

Regards,

Jodie2.

Initiate

Replies 0

Thank you very much