Announcements
Looking for information on the JobKeeper extension? Check out our answers to common questions the community has been asking.

ATO Community

student tax rate

Highlighted

I'm new

Views 1319

Replies 4

What is the rate of tax for student

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @mnobarinia,

Welcome to our Community!

@macfanboy is right - there are no specific tax rates for students. You can find information about the different types of tax rates depending on your situation on our website.

If you have further questions, you can phone us on 13 28 61 between 8am - 6pm, Monday to Friday to speak with an operator. 

Thanks, JodieH.

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted

Taxicorn

Replies 2

There isn't any special rates for students.

There are separate rates for non-residents, working & holiday workers and people under 18 'aquiring' unearned income (savngs accounts, shares etc).

Highlighted

I'm new

Replies 1

Everyone else has to pay taxes on their in-kind income as well. I had a job with the essaytyper company to pay my way through grad school, and had to pay full tuition and full taxes. The solution here is so simple, they will just reduce tuition for grad school. Right now it is like healthcare, scam prices that very few pay so they can claim they are giving huge discounts and declare losses. If the tuition discounts are 75%, and every grad student is getting them, who is paying full price? Does full price even mean anything or is it just an accounting trick to list the expenses. A creative accountant would make the working grad students temporary employees and then not have any tuition expenses at all, they would just be getting the equivalent of on the job training. In cases where no money is actually changing hands, it is often possible to make that situation non-taxable.

Highlighted

I'm new

Replies 0

In fact, I can say that I agree with you, because everyone has to pay taxes, regardless of their status and income level.

Alex

Highlighted

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @mnobarinia,

Welcome to our Community!

@macfanboy is right - there are no specific tax rates for students. You can find information about the different types of tax rates depending on your situation on our website.

If you have further questions, you can phone us on 13 28 61 between 8am - 6pm, Monday to Friday to speak with an operator. 

Thanks, JodieH.