Announcements
COVID-19 update: Check out our answers to common questions about JobKeeper payment and early release of super.

ATO Community

vehicle expenses

Highlighted

I'm new

Views 488

Replies 1

How do I calculate car expenses for work and what can I claim?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @andrewlongneck,

Welcome to our Community!

We can provide you with general information to help you work out what deductions you can claim, however as we don't know all the details about your situation we can't provide definite answers.

Generally, there are 3 main rules to be able to claim work-related deductions:

• you must have spent the money yourself and weren't reimbursed
  • it must be directly related to earning your income
  • you must have a record to prove it.

You can find information about deductions for vehicle and travel expenses and deductions for specific industries and occupations on our website. If you have further questions, you can phone us on 13 28 61 between 8am - 6pm, Monday to Friday to speak with an operator.

Thanks, JodieH.

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @andrewlongneck,

Welcome to our Community!

We can provide you with general information to help you work out what deductions you can claim, however as we don't know all the details about your situation we can't provide definite answers.

Generally, there are 3 main rules to be able to claim work-related deductions:

• you must have spent the money yourself and weren't reimbursed
  • it must be directly related to earning your income
  • you must have a record to prove it.

You can find information about deductions for vehicle and travel expenses and deductions for specific industries and occupations on our website. If you have further questions, you can phone us on 13 28 61 between 8am - 6pm, Monday to Friday to speak with an operator.

Thanks, JodieH.