Announcements
Have you sold crypto, shares or property? Our new capital gains tax guide has info about cost bases, calculations & more! Still got questions? Ask the Community!

ATO Community

Re: ABN and Tax for a Travel Blog ?

Views 1835

Replies 2

Hi 

I am a full time working professional in australia and i do have interest in travel blogging as a hobby. This is more like having a personal website with own domain (.com not .au ) Do I need to have ABN for a hobby/ starting to write my own travel blog ? and If i happen to make some money out of it via ads ( surely not more than a few dollars ) do i need to pay tax on it ?

Regards

Pavan 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 1

Hi @pavan_navanitha

Thank you for your question.

If you are monetizing your private blog with ads, you will need to decide whether this is a hobby or a business. I understand you have used .com so you were able to register without supplying an ABN. See our webpage Are you in business? to help you decide between hobby or a business. There is very good information available on the business.gov.au website Difference between a business and a hobby; towards the bottom of the page there is a business or hobby tool which you can use.

If after consideration you decide this is a hobby, then you don't need to declare any earnings on your income tax return or lodge any activity statements. However, if you decide you are in business see our webpage Getting up and running.

Here is a related post in relation to being paid for writing freelance articles for blogs: foreign income on blog writing.

All the best for the future of your blog

2 REPLIES 2

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 1

Hi @pavan_navanitha

Thank you for your question.

If you are monetizing your private blog with ads, you will need to decide whether this is a hobby or a business. I understand you have used .com so you were able to register without supplying an ABN. See our webpage Are you in business? to help you decide between hobby or a business. There is very good information available on the business.gov.au website Difference between a business and a hobby; towards the bottom of the page there is a business or hobby tool which you can use.

If after consideration you decide this is a hobby, then you don't need to declare any earnings on your income tax return or lodge any activity statements. However, if you decide you are in business see our webpage Getting up and running.

Here is a related post in relation to being paid for writing freelance articles for blogs: foreign income on blog writing.

All the best for the future of your blog

Replies 0

Thank you Tracey 

The website is self sponsored without any ad payment, I did take the Hobby or business quiz/test and all the answers suggested hobby except one where it said it cant decide if its hobby or business. Since my blogs are done in free time and I do not intend to earn any money out of it. I can safely tell this is a hobby. Thank you for your guidance much appretiated.

Regards

Pavan Navanitha