Announcements
On 21 July the government announced proposed changes to the JobKeeper program. These changes don’t affect Jobkeeper payments until after 28 September 2020.

ATO Community

Declaring Income made from Hobby/Modeling?

Highlighted

I'm new

Views 5545

Replies 1

Hi,

Beginning December 2018 I began doing occaisonal adult modeling work for several local studios, at each shoot I was given and signed a Statement by Supplier paper work that said I was not quoting the businesses a ABN as I was doing it as an hobby. When I asked about declaring money on my tax return I was told as long as I didn't exceed $10,000 in a year it was still fine to not declare it. I wanted to double check this as I couldn't find anything specifically backing up that amount on the ATO website. I made approximately around $6-7,000 up until the EOFY. I also tried online camming a handful of times and only made approximately $250 due to tips, would this ammount need to be declared or is it also considered to be under the same hobby umbrella?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @tygerlily,

Welcome to our Community!

There is no limit in what you can receive if the activities you are undertaking are a hobby and not a business. However, if the activity you're doing has more characteristic of a business and not a hobby, you may be required to apply for an ABN. You can find helpful information to work out your activity is a business or a hobby on Business website.

When you're working as an employee, Australian residents are entitled to claim the tax-free threshold. This means the first $18,200 of their yearly income isn't taxed. So, if you were an employee and earned under the tax-free threshold and didn't have tax withheld from your income, you wouldn't have to lodge a return.

However, if you're in business you're required to report income from the first $1 you earn and claim your business related expenses.

If you're unsure whether you need to lodge an income tax return based on your situation, you can use our Do I need to lodge a tax return? tool to help  you work it out.

Hope this helps, JodieH.

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @tygerlily,

Welcome to our Community!

There is no limit in what you can receive if the activities you are undertaking are a hobby and not a business. However, if the activity you're doing has more characteristic of a business and not a hobby, you may be required to apply for an ABN. You can find helpful information to work out your activity is a business or a hobby on Business website.

When you're working as an employee, Australian residents are entitled to claim the tax-free threshold. This means the first $18,200 of their yearly income isn't taxed. So, if you were an employee and earned under the tax-free threshold and didn't have tax withheld from your income, you wouldn't have to lodge a return.

However, if you're in business you're required to report income from the first $1 you earn and claim your business related expenses.

If you're unsure whether you need to lodge an income tax return based on your situation, you can use our Do I need to lodge a tax return? tool to help  you work it out.

Hope this helps, JodieH.