Announcements
Read our answers to common questions about JobKeeper, Early release of super and Cash flow boost.

ATO Community

Do I need an ABN to use Patreon?

Highlighted

Initiate

Views 610

Replies 4

Hi There!

I'm a Hobbyist Indiegame Developer/Youtuber and I upload videos of games that I make (FREE TO PLAY) on my Youtube Channel.

I am at that stage where I am looking to create a Patreon Page within the next month, so my subscribers/followers can have the option to support my work but I was wondering if I need to get an ABN first?

Alternatively I may choose to provide a PayPal link instead for my followers to support me through there but again, is an ABN required?

If someone could provide an answer to my question, as soon as possible, that would be great!

Thank you!

-IndiegameDEV

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

Community Manager

Replies 3

Hi @IndiegamDev,

Its not compulsory to have an ABN- unless you need to register for GST  but it can makes things easier.  It is easier to keep track of business transactions for tax purposes.

You only need to register for GST if your business turnover is more than $75,000.

It also stops any tax being withheld from payments from other businesses.

KylieS

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted

Best answer

Community Manager

Replies 3

Hi @IndiegamDev,

Its not compulsory to have an ABN- unless you need to register for GST  but it can makes things easier.  It is easier to keep track of business transactions for tax purposes.

You only need to register for GST if your business turnover is more than $75,000.

It also stops any tax being withheld from payments from other businesses.

KylieS

Highlighted

Initiate

Replies 2

Hi Kylie,

Thank you for getting back to me and answering my question.

I have a further question regarding an ABN.

I'm over 18 and currently living with my parents and I'm looking to possibly work from home.

The name I currently use for my games has been registered as a trademark to protect my work.

Now, I am possibly looking to apply for an ABN to attach to my trademark for tax purposes, for when I decide to make commercial games to sell to the public, but I was wondering, would I need to have my own place first?

Or is it okay for me to use the address of my parent's house for when I apply for the ABN and earn income whilst living under their roof?

Thanks!

-IndiegameDEV
Highlighted

Community Manager

Replies 0

Hi @ IndiegameDEV

Sounds like a very exciting future for you. 

You can live anywhere it doesn't have any consequence for the ABN  or your business.

Good luck

KylieS

Highlighted

Community Manager

Replies 0

Hi @IndiegameDEV 

Any other income received will need to be declared on your personal tax return as follows:
-    Tax withheld from income at 1. Salary or Wages
-    No Tax withheld from income at 2. Allowance, earning, tips, director fees etc.

To help you decide to whether you want to continue your activities as a hobby or business? Please have a look at the following business or hobby on the Business Government website.

There is information on this page how to conduct your hobby or business activities.

Hope this helps and all the best on your future endeavours.

Thanks