Announcements
Looking for information on the JobKeeper extension? Check out our answers to common questions the community has been asking.

ATO Community

Re: Do I need to register myself or income- to start making and selling greeting cards?

Highlighted

Views 95

Replies 1

-As a second stream of income, or pocket money:

If I start hand making greeting cards- to sell to friends/ family/ acquaintances/ occasionally at market stalls (perhaps once a month at market stalls?)

- Can anyone please advise the legal obligations with making and selling greeting cards?

What are my responsibilties for:

(1) Registrations?

(2) Paper work?

(3) Tax responsibilities to be aware of on my end?

(4) Legal obligations to report?

Please note- I have a separate primary job already, but greeting cards would be for pocket money mostly. 

Thankyou for your time

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @GreetingCardMak

Firstly, check decide whether this is a hobby or a business on business.gov.au. They even have a Let us help you decide tool. The website also has many links to follow to answer your questions about setting up a business.

On our website, check Are you in business? There is a great video there. You can also refer to Starting your own business.

If after reading the above however, you decide this is a hobby, then there is no change to your income tax return. However, you may at times be asked for a Statement by a Supplier, as you won't have an ABN.

Hope it goes well for you

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @GreetingCardMak

Firstly, check decide whether this is a hobby or a business on business.gov.au. They even have a Let us help you decide tool. The website also has many links to follow to answer your questions about setting up a business.

On our website, check Are you in business? There is a great video there. You can also refer to Starting your own business.

If after reading the above however, you decide this is a hobby, then there is no change to your income tax return. However, you may at times be asked for a Statement by a Supplier, as you won't have an ABN.

Hope it goes well for you