Announcements
On 21 July the government announced proposed changes to the JobKeeper program. These changes don’t affect Jobkeeper payments until after 28 September 2020.

ATO Community

Maximum deductions if you have two jobs?

Highlighted

Views 422

Replies 1

I teach a group music lesson at a school for an hour a week. I act as a sole trader and only earn $1k a year from this. My main job pays about $80k and is completely unrelated to music. When I do my tax I only have to do an individual tax return for both incomes combined.

I don't teach to earn money, but because I want to share my knowledge.

I buy instruments and recording equipment with the money I earn and use it to teach the kids.

If I spend more than $1k on the music equipment can I only deduct up to $1k from my taxable income? Or can I deduct more, theoretically up to $81k.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

Taxicorn

Replies 0

You can deduct as much money as you have spent on work-related expenses that you haven't been reimbursed for.

However, any sole trader income will only be reduced to $0.

Any excess will be carried forward as a business loss and used to offset future sole trader earnings.

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Best answer

Taxicorn

Replies 0

You can deduct as much money as you have spent on work-related expenses that you haven't been reimbursed for.

However, any sole trader income will only be reduced to $0.

Any excess will be carried forward as a business loss and used to offset future sole trader earnings.