ATO Community

No tax claimed

Ask a question

I'm new

Views 211

Replies 2

I started a second back in April (casual 3 afternoons a week. Im sure I ticked the no box to claiming the tax three threshold as my first full time job claims it. Ive only just realised that I am not paying any tax on second job. My payslip says $18 year to date but the last few payslips I haven't had any tax taken off. Is this a normal thing to happen or have I done something wrong. I will talk to my second job management and double check what I ticked on my tax form but thought I'd check here to see if anyone can help. Will this effect my tax claim this year. Does it look like I will need to owe tax as I haven't had much taken out. Im very confused and starting to stress....helpppp.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Best answer

Enthusiast

Replies 0

How much tax you should have paid depends on how much money you have earned.
You could use the online calculators on ato.gov to check if the right amount of tax has been withheld by your employer or not: https://www.ato.gov.au/calculators-and-tools/tax-withheld-calculator/?=top_10_calculators.

You are right that you can only claim the tax free threshold on one job at a time. If not enough tax has been withheld, check with your employer/s to make sure you have only claimed it on one job at a time.
2 REPLIES 2

Best answer

Enthusiast

Replies 0

How much tax you should have paid depends on how much money you have earned.
You could use the online calculators on ato.gov to check if the right amount of tax has been withheld by your employer or not: https://www.ato.gov.au/calculators-and-tools/tax-withheld-calculator/?=top_10_calculators.

You are right that you can only claim the tax free threshold on one job at a time. If not enough tax has been withheld, check with your employer/s to make sure you have only claimed it on one job at a time.

Champion

Replies 0

Hi @Ness89 

If you are not-claiming the tax-free threshold you will have tax taken out of every dollar, so there is likely to be an error.

It's likely that the payroll administrator of the second job has wrongly selected that you were claiming the tax-free threshold.

Payroll errors are some of the most common I've seen personally. It's not difficult for them to make an adjustment and catch-up any additional tax you may need to pay, but it will mean you get less take-home pay over a period of time while you catch-up, have the discussion with them.

If you're concerned about your current tax return and you end up with an amount payable, you can also talk to the ATO to arrange a payment plan if paying the full amount is too difficult.

Best bet is to expect the worst, which may be a payable amount on your 2019 tax return and knowing that it isn't the end of the world, because the ATO does understand individual challenges and can be fairly accomodating.

Top Solution Authors