Announcements
We’re doing scheduled maintenance on ATO Community to bring you a bigger, better and brighter online community.
You may see us go into read-only mode over the weekend while we do this. Don’t worry! You’ll still be able to search the site to find your answers.

ATO Community

Re: Second job Tax

I'm new

Views 330

Replies 2

Hi, I am currently a full time employee of a corporate company. I am looking to take up a second job in hospitality, one day a week, on a casual basis. What are my obligations from a tax perspective? Is it advisable to claim the tax-free threshold for my second job?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hiya @cynthia_,

You can claim the tax free threshold from as many employers as you like, as long as your entire income is under the $18,200 threshold. If your income from your main employer is already over the threshold, it is not advisable to claim the threshold from a second employer, or you will end up in a debt position when you lodge your income tax return.

2 REPLIES 2

Dynamo

Replies 0

Hi @cynthia_ 

You can only claim the tax free threshold from one employer (main employer).

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hiya @cynthia_,

You can claim the tax free threshold from as many employers as you like, as long as your entire income is under the $18,200 threshold. If your income from your main employer is already over the threshold, it is not advisable to claim the threshold from a second employer, or you will end up in a debt position when you lodge your income tax return.