• 23309 Members
  • 27288 Posts

ATO Community

Re: Second job tax

Ask a question

Views 33

Replies 6

Hi
Currently, i have a casual job at coles but I'm getting another part time job soon. I want to keep both. If i make my casual job as my second job, how much tax will be taken from my pay? (Please let me know in percentage). Thank you in advance
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Taxicorn

Replies 1

Well, seeing that you have a variable amount from your casual job it is difficult to know exctly what your taxable income.

The only thing that you should definitely do is to NOT claim the tax-free threshold for the new job.

You still may end up with a tax debt because the new job doesn't know exactly how much you will earn from the casual job so it doesn't know how to tax you, so it will tax you (by not claiming the tax-free threshold) at 19 cents per $.

Unless you know exact figures and can work out exactly how much tax the new job should tax you and then fill in a PAYG Variation form to take out that amount extra there is no way of knowing especially with different pays from the casual job.

See the wiki

6 REPLIES 6

Taxicorn

Replies 5

To answer that question we need to know:

(a) How much you get paid for your first job.

(b) How much you will get paid for your new job.

(c) How much 'other' income that you will receive.

There is no 'set' % that gets deducted.

Income tax is calculated on your TOTAl taxable income.

Replies 4

I'm a casual at my first job (which will be my second job) so i get paid from $100 to $600.
I will get paid around $400 from my new job (part time)

Taxicorn

Replies 3

Is this per week or fortnight?

Replies 2

Per week
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Taxicorn

Replies 1

Well, seeing that you have a variable amount from your casual job it is difficult to know exctly what your taxable income.

The only thing that you should definitely do is to NOT claim the tax-free threshold for the new job.

You still may end up with a tax debt because the new job doesn't know exactly how much you will earn from the casual job so it doesn't know how to tax you, so it will tax you (by not claiming the tax-free threshold) at 19 cents per $.

Unless you know exact figures and can work out exactly how much tax the new job should tax you and then fill in a PAYG Variation form to take out that amount extra there is no way of knowing especially with different pays from the casual job.

See the wiki

Replies 0

I want the new job (part time) to be my first job so i want to claim the tax free threshold. While i DON'T want to claim the tax free threshold for my casual job
Top Solution Authors