Announcements
We understand that 2020 has been a difficult year but we're here to try and make it a little easier for you during tax time. You can search other people's posts, read our articles or ask your own question.

ATO Community

Re: Starting Dropshipping while on student visa

Highlighted

I'm new

Views 68

Replies 1

Hello,

I am an international student and I have got a part time job. I came up with an idea to start a dropshipping business via shopify. But I am not sure if I am allowed to do so along with a job on other hand. Can you please clarify this to me?

Regards,

Manju Gautam.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

Community Support

Replies 0

Good morning @manju12 

Thank you for contacting us!

I understand that Shopify suggest having an ABN. If you are starting an online business and do obtain an ABN this doesn't prevent you from continuing your part time employment. Your employer doesn't need to know what your ABN is or that you even have an ABN.

Once your online business starts to make some money, you may want to look at registering for pay as you go (PAYG) instalments. For more information about that, check out the PAYG instalments page on our website.

From a tax perspective, you can have as many jobs as you like. You can be an employee for one job and self-employed for another if that is what you want to do.

Being the only business owner doesn't mean that you have to be a sole trader. There are actually four commonly used business structures in Australia: sole trader, partnership, company and trust. The best one to choose depends on your circumstances and you may want to seek professional advice about which way to go.

Wishing you all the best.

AngelaG

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Best answer

Community Support

Replies 0

Good morning @manju12 

Thank you for contacting us!

I understand that Shopify suggest having an ABN. If you are starting an online business and do obtain an ABN this doesn't prevent you from continuing your part time employment. Your employer doesn't need to know what your ABN is or that you even have an ABN.

Once your online business starts to make some money, you may want to look at registering for pay as you go (PAYG) instalments. For more information about that, check out the PAYG instalments page on our website.

From a tax perspective, you can have as many jobs as you like. You can be an employee for one job and self-employed for another if that is what you want to do.

Being the only business owner doesn't mean that you have to be a sole trader. There are actually four commonly used business structures in Australia: sole trader, partnership, company and trust. The best one to choose depends on your circumstances and you may want to seek professional advice about which way to go.

Wishing you all the best.

AngelaG