Announcements
Read our answers to common questions about JobKeeper, Early release of super and Cash flow boost.

ATO Community

Tax threshold for 2 jobs

Highlighted

I'm new

Views 733

Replies 2

Hi guys,

Throughout the 2017/18 financial year i had 2 jobs, but not at the same time. When completing my tax declaration, i ticked YES to claiming the tax free threshold on both jobs, how does this work when i claim my tax? I earned over $18,500. Over the 2 jobs,

Did i mess up when doing my tax declaration? Or am i able to claim all my tax back from both jobs?

Cheers
Caleb
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Caleb4,

Welcome to our Community!

Generally speaking, if you're a resident for tax purposes and have had more than one job at a time during a financial year, it's recommended you only claim the tax-free threshold from one payer at a time - usually the one who pays you the most.

However, in the situation you've described, if you didn't have more than one payer at the same time, you're able to claim the tax-free threshold on your TFN declaration from each payer.

When you lodge your tax return, you'll need to declare income and tax withheld from all payers. We'll calculate how much tax you're required to pay based on your total income and any deductions or offsets you're entitled to. You'll receive a Notice of assessment (NOA) outlining your income and tax liability and it will tell you if you'll receive a refund or if you have an amount to pay.

If you have further questions, you can phone us on 13 28 61 between 8am - 6pm, Monday to Friday or you can select the 'Live chat' function if completing your tax return online via myGov.

Thanks, JodieH.

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

Taxicorn

Replies 0

Your tax is calculated from your total income from the two jobs.

Whether you have paid enough tax depends on how much you have earned.

Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Caleb4,

Welcome to our Community!

Generally speaking, if you're a resident for tax purposes and have had more than one job at a time during a financial year, it's recommended you only claim the tax-free threshold from one payer at a time - usually the one who pays you the most.

However, in the situation you've described, if you didn't have more than one payer at the same time, you're able to claim the tax-free threshold on your TFN declaration from each payer.

When you lodge your tax return, you'll need to declare income and tax withheld from all payers. We'll calculate how much tax you're required to pay based on your total income and any deductions or offsets you're entitled to. You'll receive a Notice of assessment (NOA) outlining your income and tax liability and it will tell you if you'll receive a refund or if you have an amount to pay.

If you have further questions, you can phone us on 13 28 61 between 8am - 6pm, Monday to Friday or you can select the 'Live chat' function if completing your tax return online via myGov.

Thanks, JodieH.