Announcements
Halloween costumes are spooky but your tax return doesn't have to be. Don't forget to lodge this weekend!

ATO Community

Can I invest funds (part only) from my SMSF . into an industry super fund ?

Highlighted

I'm new

Views 414

Replies 1

I wish to keep control of my self managed super fund as I have a good share portfloio, a rental property, and additional funds.

The cash and small property fund are returning less than 2%.

I woild like to sell the investment property, and small property fund, combine the return and cash, which would be sizable.

and put the combined amount into an industry super fund.

Is this possible?

Is this a good move.?

I'm over 65 years old and looking for a steady income stream.

Tony C  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Devotee Registered Tax Practitioner

Replies 0

and put the combined amount into an industry super fund.  Is this possible?

This sounds like taking all the assets of one fund and investing it all in another fund.  It is possible, to the extent that there is at least one industry fund that issues investments that can be owned a a SMSF.

Is this a good move.?

Most would ask why have the SMSF at all if all the assets were invested in an industry fund.

If you are uncertain as to whether it is a good idea, then you need to get advice from someone holding a financial services license.

You should check out the industry fund's policy on distributing investment returns to members, because you may find that the fund uses reserves to smooth out annual returns to members.  This is very different to how your SMSF dealt with investment returns.

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Devotee Registered Tax Practitioner

Replies 0

and put the combined amount into an industry super fund.  Is this possible?

This sounds like taking all the assets of one fund and investing it all in another fund.  It is possible, to the extent that there is at least one industry fund that issues investments that can be owned a a SMSF.

Is this a good move.?

Most would ask why have the SMSF at all if all the assets were invested in an industry fund.

If you are uncertain as to whether it is a good idea, then you need to get advice from someone holding a financial services license.

You should check out the industry fund's policy on distributing investment returns to members, because you may find that the fund uses reserves to smooth out annual returns to members.  This is very different to how your SMSF dealt with investment returns.