ATO Community

Post about purchasing a property from an SMSF

Ask a question

Views 422

Replies 3

About two weeks ago JamesD57 asked a question about his ability to purchase a property from his SMSF.  The exact wording of his first sentence was "Are you able to purchase a property as an indvidual from your own SMSF?".
I answered it.
Then a JodieH (who I gather is with the ATO) responded to the original post (not to my answer), but had taken the question the wrong way around.  She answered in terms of the SMSF purchasing a property from  the member).  Yet her answer was "accepted"!
I sent a response querying Jodie's advice but there has been no reply from her or anyone else.
If questions are being misinterpreted and therefore inappropriate answers are being given, epecially by employees of the ATO, it brings into question the value of this forum.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Best answer

ATO Certified

Devotee

Replies 0

Hi @JimR,

Thanks for your feedback.

We've certified our answer on the Purchasing property from SMSF post as the most correct answer is to write in and seek written advice from us on how we think tax law applies in this situation.

Investment scenarios for SMSFs can be complex, and there are a range of factors a person who is a member of that SMSF need to consider before purchasing an asset from the fund's portfolio. Our forum can help point people towards general information, but in this case we'd need to know a lot more before we could provide interpretive advice.

If you disagree with information on the Community, you can always click the 'Report as inappropriate' button at the bottom of each post. This will flag it with the moderators for further review.

Thanks, @AmandaE
Community Moderator.

3 REPLIES 3

Anonymous

Replies 2

@JimR    I would like to see that post .. so can you provide link pls ..

Best answer

ATO Certified

Devotee

Replies 0

Hi @JimR,

Thanks for your feedback.

We've certified our answer on the Purchasing property from SMSF post as the most correct answer is to write in and seek written advice from us on how we think tax law applies in this situation.

Investment scenarios for SMSFs can be complex, and there are a range of factors a person who is a member of that SMSF need to consider before purchasing an asset from the fund's portfolio. Our forum can help point people towards general information, but in this case we'd need to know a lot more before we could provide interpretive advice.

If you disagree with information on the Community, you can always click the 'Report as inappropriate' button at the bottom of each post. This will flag it with the moderators for further review.

Thanks, @AmandaE
Community Moderator.

Replies 0

Hi MVF.  Sorry for delay. The link follows.  Alternatively you could do a search on the OP, JamesD57

https://community.ato.gov.au/t5/Self-managed-super-funds/Purchasing-property-from-SMSF/m-p/11245

Top Solution Authors