ATO Community

UBER fee - Income tax return

Ask a question
Highlighted

Views 1465

Replies 2

Hi,

I'm currently in the process of doing my own tax return. I have sorted out everything except the uber fee or a facilitator fee. Does uber pay gst on such amount? As you remove the gst component of any expenses you are about to claim (since I have registered GST). If not, then I'll claim the full amount under the label other expenses manually calculated. Would that be correct?

Thank you.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Gvin,

Thanks for your patience whilst we checked information with a technical area.

If you're unsure whether Uber has charged GST on an item, you should request a copy of the tax invoice, or check with Uber prior to proceeding, as some Uber facilitators may charge GST. If Uber have not charged GST for that particular item you will not be able to claim a credit for GST but you would be entitled to a deduction for the full amount of the expense in your tax return.

Find more information on when you can claim a GST credit on our website.

Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Gvin,

Thanks for your question!

We're checking our answer with a technical area and we hope to get back to you soon as possible with a response.

Thanks.

Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Gvin,

Thanks for your patience whilst we checked information with a technical area.

If you're unsure whether Uber has charged GST on an item, you should request a copy of the tax invoice, or check with Uber prior to proceeding, as some Uber facilitators may charge GST. If Uber have not charged GST for that particular item you will not be able to claim a credit for GST but you would be entitled to a deduction for the full amount of the expense in your tax return.

Find more information on when you can claim a GST credit on our website.

Thanks.

Top Solution Authors