Announcements
We’re in read-only mode while we do some scheduled maintenance to bring you a bigger, better and brighter online community.
You can still search the site to find answers or take a look at our current top 10 questions.

ATO Community

Re: I deliver for UberEats only (not-ride sharing)... how/what to declare?

Views 23178

Replies 8

Hi all,

I work for UberEats as a 3rd (and casual) job to help make ends meet in tight months. The info from Uber says as I only deliver food, not people (my car only has 2 doors so I wasn’t eligible for uberX) I do not count as ride-share and therefore don’t need to meet the GST/ABN requirements that came in last year and hit some drivers hard. I do not have an ABN.

So knowing that:

Q1. I am able to save monthly statements showing exactly how many kms I have done for Uber, but I’d like to know what the cents per km calculation covers exactly? Is it everything, including petrol, services, tyre-wear, rego etc? Or should I be keeping petrol receipts as a separate expense?

Q2. UberEats pay us a Service Fee as well as a Delivery Fee for each trip. Do I need to declare these portions differently or do I treat it as a gross amount like I would an hourly rate?

Thanks for any advice

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Former Community Support

Replies 4

Hi @katy,

Welcome to our Community!

@macfanboy has provided some helpful information relating to your query, we just wanted to add some relevant links that may assist.

Our guide to The sharing economy and tax has useful information that can help you work out what deductions you can claim and specific information to help you work out what car expenses you can claim including which method you can use here.

If you have further questions, you can phone us on 13 28 61 between 8am - 6pm, Monday to Friday (AEDT) to speak with an operator.

Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8

Taxicorn

Replies 7

Q1: The cents per hour covers everything including depreciation on your car. You can only claim 5,000 km at 66 cents per hour.

Keep records. Make sure that you claim all other possible deductions eg Business % of phone.

Q2: Also For income tax purposes, include the gross amount (including the service fee) in assessable income and claim the service fee as a deduction.

Replies 6

Ok -

Q1. Petrol is definitely included in the $.66 a km? My partner is in Real Estate and would be interested to hear that. I thought perhaps receipts were needed for petrol and the cents per km was for everything else. Thank you for clearing that up!

Q2. I’m not sure I understand how something they pay me can be a deduction...? Or do you mean the tax I paid on that fee is a deduction?

Taxicorn

Replies 0

Q1: The cents per km method, includes everything. no need to keep any receipts just proof that you travelled those kms for a work related method. If you partner is in real estate then tell them that  they can claim travel, from home to a property on the way to work also if they are carring the bulky sign that they sometimes use etc.

Q2: You are paid a "gross amount', which you report as your assessable income, this includes a service fee to uber, which they deduct. This service fee is needed to work so yes you can deduct it.

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Former Community Support

Replies 4

Hi @katy,

Welcome to our Community!

@macfanboy has provided some helpful information relating to your query, we just wanted to add some relevant links that may assist.

Our guide to The sharing economy and tax has useful information that can help you work out what deductions you can claim and specific information to help you work out what car expenses you can claim including which method you can use here.

If you have further questions, you can phone us on 13 28 61 between 8am - 6pm, Monday to Friday (AEDT) to speak with an operator.

Thanks.

Replies 1

Brilliant. Thanks both!

One more UberEats question, which I would assume helpful for other drivers on this thread -

UberEats only pay us a per-km rate for kms driven between the restaurant and the customers home, but not the kms to the restaurant.

An example: a job pops up on the app, and due to the night and the area it’s up to a 20km drive to pick up the food. Once I pick up the food, the customers home is only 2 minutes around the corner from the restaurant, approximately 2km.

I get my whole fee for the job, but shown on my pay slip and broken down on my monthly statement are the kms from food pick-up to final destination only.

So in the above example I would get paid the rate for 2 x kms on that job.

My question is, should I be keeping a logbook of the kms I do traveling to the jobs? As you see above, these are regularly further than the distances between the restaurants and homes anyway.

Or, seeing as between my 3 itinerant/delivery jobs I will probably be claiming the maximum 5000kms anyway, should I not bother logging those kms for tax purposes?

I hope that makes sense. Please let me know if I should start a new thread for this question.

Taxicorn

Replies 0

You should definately be keeping a log book of all of your work related journeys.

These include all of your itinerent type of work (jobs that don't have a regular place of employment like an office etc).

Also include journeys between your different jobs if doing so.

Yes your journey to the restutant --> customer ---> home should be recorded.

I would also suggest that you may also benefit from claiming log book expenses if travelling more than 5,000 km per 12 months.

https://www.ato.gov.au/Business/Income-and-deductions-for-business/Deductions/Motor-vehicle-expenses...

You basically record the vehicle odometer reading on July 1st and then again on June 30th of the next year.

Then for a 12 week period record all the work journeys and all the personal journeys to get a work %

eg Total = 1,000 km; work = 900 km, personal = 100 km therefore work = 90%

Then you will be able to claim 90% of all of your running expenses which include, petrol, service, tyres, batteries, insurance, rego, motor vehicle membership, car washes, loan interst (if any) on the car, depreciation on the vehicle etc

Logbooks only really need to be kept every 5 years unless you change vehicles, jobs or increase/decrease your usage significantly.

I always advise people to keep one every year regardless.

Also, if only claiming cents per km, you do actually have to be able to sunstantiate that by keeping some records indicating how you arrived at that figure.

Replies 1

I read the following paragraph on internet, I am not clear about one thing. this 75000 $ limit is applicable for earning through Uber eats only ? or does it applicabe on sum of my all incomes? as I am doing a full time job and already earning more then 75000 $ annually. 

My plan it work for Uber eats only (on weekends and public holidays). so I will hardly make around 5000$ annually from uber eats. 

So In my particular case, Do I need to be register for GST or not ? 

"as an UberEATS driver, you are obligated to declare any income you have received while working as a driver. However, you do not need to register for GST if you are earning less than $75,000 and are only delivering food but if you are making more than $75,000 annually, you need to register for GST"

https://www.mytaxrefundtoday.com.au/a-tax-guide-for-uber-eats-drivers/

Taxicorn

Replies 0

@tahseen 

The $75,000 refers to business income only, so only from the Uber eats.