Announcements
We understand that 2020 has been a difficult year but we're here to try and make it a little easier for you during tax time. You can search other people's posts, read our articles or ask your own question.

ATO Community

Re: Paying tax as Uber Eats Driver

Highlighted

I'm new

Views 51998

Replies 6

I worked as Uber Eats driver last year for 2 months only (Sept-Oct 2017). I could not register for ABN that time. Now I have just registered for ABN and it is linked to my tax account. Can someone advice me on following three points?

1- If I have earned around $ 1700 during whole financial year as Uber Eats then how much tax I have to pay?

2- Do I simply have to pay tax amount using my online tax account and it will automatically adjusted in final tax return?

3- Before working as Uber Eats Driver, I was working with an organisation on casual basis. Because I worked as casual staff and not getting enough earning, I started Uber Eats. Now I am working as a full time employee and not continuing Uber Eats. How will it effect tax due for Uber Eats?

Appreciate if someone guide me on above three points.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 5

Hi @far_a_khan,

Welcome to our Community!

Any income you receive through the sharing economy (such as Uber Eats) is assessable income and needs to be declared in your income tax return. If your projected GST turnover is less than $75,000 a year, you don't have to be registered for GST.

You need to report all income you've received under your ABN, as this is considered assessable income. Find information about what to include in your assessable income here. As no tax is withheld from payments made to you, you may wish to enter into the Pay as you go (PAYG) instalment system, where you can make regular payments towards your expected end of year tax liability.

You may be able to claim deductions for expenses you've incurred while being a Uber eats driver. To claim a deduction:

• you must have spent the money and not been reimbursed
  • the costs must relate to doing your job and can't be a private expense (such as travel from home to the job)
  • work out how much of the total expense is for your business and how much for personal use
  • you must keep appropriate records to prove your claim.

When you lodge your tax return we'll calculate how much tax you're required to pay based on the total income you've reported (from all sources) and what deductions and offsets you've claimed. Once you're tax return is finalised, you'll receive a Notice of assessment (NOA) which will advise your taxable income, how much tax you're required to pay and how much tax credits you have had applied to your account, any tax offsets and rebates. If you haven't had enough tax credits withheld during the year, you may end up with a bill to pay. You contact us if you need help repaying your debt.

If you have further queries, you can phone us on 13 28 61 between 8am - 6pm, Monday to Friday to speak with an operator.

Thanks, JodieH.

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 5

Hi @far_a_khan,

Welcome to our Community!

Any income you receive through the sharing economy (such as Uber Eats) is assessable income and needs to be declared in your income tax return. If your projected GST turnover is less than $75,000 a year, you don't have to be registered for GST.

You need to report all income you've received under your ABN, as this is considered assessable income. Find information about what to include in your assessable income here. As no tax is withheld from payments made to you, you may wish to enter into the Pay as you go (PAYG) instalment system, where you can make regular payments towards your expected end of year tax liability.

You may be able to claim deductions for expenses you've incurred while being a Uber eats driver. To claim a deduction:

• you must have spent the money and not been reimbursed
  • the costs must relate to doing your job and can't be a private expense (such as travel from home to the job)
  • work out how much of the total expense is for your business and how much for personal use
  • you must keep appropriate records to prove your claim.

When you lodge your tax return we'll calculate how much tax you're required to pay based on the total income you've reported (from all sources) and what deductions and offsets you've claimed. Once you're tax return is finalised, you'll receive a Notice of assessment (NOA) which will advise your taxable income, how much tax you're required to pay and how much tax credits you have had applied to your account, any tax offsets and rebates. If you haven't had enough tax credits withheld during the year, you may end up with a bill to pay. You contact us if you need help repaying your debt.

If you have further queries, you can phone us on 13 28 61 between 8am - 6pm, Monday to Friday to speak with an operator.

Thanks, JodieH.

Highlighted

Replies 0

Hi, 

I also drive with uber eats but I am sure my earnings are not more than 75k, so I did not register for GST. I have a ABN and linked it to ATO but I have been receiving payments from uber eats without an ABN. Also there is no option of linking an ABN with uber eats unless the income is more than 75k. 

So how should I present the income while filing the tax since the earnings are never linked to ABN. 

Highlighted

Replies 3

When I click on the assessable income link it tells me that page is not found. My question is do I just withhold tax on the income I actually get or do I have to also apply tax on the total amount that includes the service fee Uber Eats takes out?

Highlighted

Community Manager

Replies 2

Hi @martyca,

Thanks for your question.

Check out our knowledge base article Delivering food or goods using a digital platform or app?

Thanks

KylieS 

Highlighted

Replies 1

Hello,

While doing deliveries, i travelled 1039 kms as per the statements i have received. How much claim should i make for this kms in terms of fuel cost?

Other claim would be uber fees i guess that they charge for each delivery?

Mobile network expense?

Regards,

Danish

Highlighted

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Danish,

Thanks for getting in touch!

If you're wanting to know what deductions you can claim as an Uber driver, you can check out deductions for ride-sourcing on our website for more information.

Thanks, JodieH.