Announcements
COVID-19 update: We expect to publish updates on the JobKeeper payment soon. For other questions, check out the COVID-19 board.

ATO Community

Renting out part or all of your home

Highlighted

I'm new

Views 552

Replies 1

I'm a tenant of a 2 bedroom apartment which i live in, and I have sub-let one of the rooms through Airbnb.  I know I need to declare the income I received in my tax return, but can I claim a portion of my rent expense as a deduction?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Katrina1,

Welcome to our Community!

Generally speaking, if you're renting out part of your home, you can claim deductions for associated expenses incurred for that part of the home when the room was being rented.

You can find more information about renting our all or part of your home and your income tax requirements through the sharing economy on our website.

If you have further questions, you can phone us on 13 28 61 between 8am - 6pm, Monday to Friday to speak with an operator. Alternatively, if you're lodging your return online, you can use the Live chat function to the right of the screen to connect you to an ATO officer who can answer any queries whilst in myTax.

Thanks, JodieH.

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Katrina1,

Welcome to our Community!

Generally speaking, if you're renting out part of your home, you can claim deductions for associated expenses incurred for that part of the home when the room was being rented.

You can find more information about renting our all or part of your home and your income tax requirements through the sharing economy on our website.

If you have further questions, you can phone us on 13 28 61 between 8am - 6pm, Monday to Friday to speak with an operator. Alternatively, if you're lodging your return online, you can use the Live chat function to the right of the screen to connect you to an ATO officer who can answer any queries whilst in myTax.

Thanks, JodieH.