Announcements
Curious about the JobMaker Hiring Credit? Have a read about who is eligible and how to register.

ATO Community

Uber driver

Views 10075

Replies 5

I have been an uber driver for most of last financial year as my primary income.

I cant find the answer to these questions anywhere Please help?

Do I enter my income in the area where you would enter employer provided income (payment summaries) or do I enter it as a PSI under sole trader section.

After doing the yest I believe PSI applies?

Second question is can I claim depreciation of my car? I believe I can but where do I enter this info?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Community Support

Replies 4

Hi @sarahb

Welcome to our Community!

If you're in the ride-sourcing industry (such as an Uber driver or taxi driver) you're required to have an ABN and be registered for GST. If you're a sole trader you report the income you've earned as an Uber driver in the business section of your individual tax return. You can find more information about working out if the PSI rules apply on our website. 

You can only claim a deduction for expenses relating to transporting passengers for a fare, so you may need to apportion your car expenses if you use your car for both private and business purposes. You can find information about car expenses when you're an Uber driver on our website and if you're lodging your return online using myTax you can find where to repot information in our instruction guide.

If you have further questions, you can phone us on 13 28 61 between 8am - 6pm, Monday to Friday to speak with an operator. 

Thanks, JodieH. 

5 REPLIES 5

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Community Support

Replies 4

Hi @sarahb

Welcome to our Community!

If you're in the ride-sourcing industry (such as an Uber driver or taxi driver) you're required to have an ABN and be registered for GST. If you're a sole trader you report the income you've earned as an Uber driver in the business section of your individual tax return. You can find more information about working out if the PSI rules apply on our website. 

You can only claim a deduction for expenses relating to transporting passengers for a fare, so you may need to apportion your car expenses if you use your car for both private and business purposes. You can find information about car expenses when you're an Uber driver on our website and if you're lodging your return online using myTax you can find where to repot information in our instruction guide.

If you have further questions, you can phone us on 13 28 61 between 8am - 6pm, Monday to Friday to speak with an operator. 

Thanks, JodieH. 

Replies 3

Have you got your answer? pls inform me too. The ATO website is very complicated. If I show my income in "Business & Soletrader" section then Where I put depreciation, fuel, Insurance, Rego expenses etc??

The proper deduction section only open If I put income in the "Salary & Wages Section" but this way do not make sense because i am self employment.

The ATO helpline is still not giving me proper information.

Community Moderator

Replies 2

Hi @hamidaims,

We have answered your question on your  other request.

Thanks

KylieS

I'm new

Replies 1

Hi Kylie

I am confused as well. Could you please provide more information?

Regards

Khem

ATO Certified Response

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @khem,

Was there something in particular that you needed more information about?

There is a guide for ride-sourcing drivers available on our website, which gives information about reporting and paying GST, as well as income and expenses for ride-sourcing.

All of your business income and expenses must be reported at the business/sole trader income section in myTax. There are specifically named categories for some items such as Motor vehicle expenses, but any expenses that you have that are not specifically named will need to be reported under "All other expenses - manually calculated".

You cannot report business related income under "Salary and wages", and you cannot report business expenses under "Deductions".

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Rachael B.