Announcements
We understand 2020 has been difficult and we're here to try and make it easier during tax time. Search posts, read articles or ask a question.

ATO Community

Duplicate STP lodged in error

Highlighted

Views 615

Replies 3

Could you please advised on how to proceed to correct an error where duplicate lodgements were made for the same amount for the same pay period.

Does the system regonise this and remove the duplicate itself?

Can you advise on my next steps. Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 2

Hi @Jayjayeleven,

Thanks for your question!

If all of the key data is exactly the same on both pay event reports, our systems should pick up on this as a duplication. Single Touch Payroll really runs off the Year to date (YTD) totals, so if there are any errors present they should be corrected when the next pay event report is lodged.

If you have access to the Business Portal, you can see instructions on how to view your YTD totals online here. This will let you keep an eye on what data we've received on our end, so you can compare it to your software totals.

I hope this helps, but please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Rachael B.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 2

Hi @Jayjayeleven,

Thanks for your question!

If all of the key data is exactly the same on both pay event reports, our systems should pick up on this as a duplication. Single Touch Payroll really runs off the Year to date (YTD) totals, so if there are any errors present they should be corrected when the next pay event report is lodged.

If you have access to the Business Portal, you can see instructions on how to view your YTD totals online here. This will let you keep an eye on what data we've received on our end, so you can compare it to your software totals.

I hope this helps, but please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Rachael B.

Highlighted

Replies 1

Thank you so much for your response. I can see on the Business Portal that there are two entries for each of the two pay periods. Both have the exact same pay period dates and amounts, yet different process dates. 

Can you advise if I need to do anything further?

What time period would you expect the ATO to remove the duplicate entry once it was discovered?

Thanks so much in advance

Highlighted

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Jayjayeleven,

Thanks for getting back to us!

From what you've described, it sounds like our systems may have processed both pay events, with one as an "out of cycle" payment.

Unfortunately, we can't remove any pay event reports but correcting the issue should be pretty straight forward. You don't need to do anything extra, just lodge your next pay event report as usual.

This will update your YTD totals in our systems to show the correct amounts for each employee. Each new pay event report that you lodge essentially overwrites the YTD figures from the previous one. This is the way STP has been designed, so that there is no need to go back and revise or remove prior pay events.

Having duplicated or incorrect pay event reports in your submission history isn't going to cause you any troubles down the line, as long as the YTD amounts at the end of the financial year match the amounts that have been reported on your BAS.

Hope this helps,

Rachael B.