Announcements
Looking for information on the JobKeeper extension? Watch the video in our latest news article.

ATO Community

Re: STP Category - Work expense deduction

Highlighted

Devotee Registered Tax Practitioner

Views 1655

Replies 1

Hi - the following question has been posted by JAGCD on MYOB's Community Forum today.

"We have in place via enterprise agreemnt a system whereby if an employee is found to be at fault in a vehicle accident that they are responsible to pay the insurance excess.  We usually do this by deducting a set amount each week from their pay in a deduction category. 

In the past I have set up a separate deduction category to be shown on their payment summaries so that they can claim it as a work expense.  The STP categories suppplied in MYOB [version 2017.2] dont really cover this, so my question is:
- Am I able to create a new STP category, or are we stuck with what is already there and if that is the case should I just link it to gross payments to reduce his income?
"

Thi problem is, in MYOB AccountRight Plus version 2017.2 (the latest version), the only STP Categories for deductions are:

- Deduction - Union / Prof Association fees and

- Deduction - Workplace Giving 

Could we have some help from the ATO - e.g. a guide to the available STP "payment summary" Deduction categories ?

I'll then pass this on to JAGCD in the MYOB Forum.

We need to move fast on this - as the headcount is on April 1, many employers with 20 or more staff are planning their STP rollout NOW and keenly awaiting their software updates, to get tem installed and ready to go, well before the July 1 commencement date - as they will be buay qith their usual year-end payroll work from mid-June onward.

Unfortunately, search-engine searches for STP Categories show little info, right now.

Are they still being reviewed by your STP development team ?

Kym Yeoward CPA ACIS (Darwin) 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Devotee

Replies 0

Hi @KYeoward,

Thanks for your post! We've tried to answer the questions posed by JAGCD in the dot points below:

• The deductions to be reported via STP are the same as the deductions that are currently required under Payment Summary and PSAR - namely, workplace giving and union fees.
  • The STP pay event does not require the disclosure of all deductions from payroll at this stage, but may be introduced as STP is implemented by other Government agencies in the future.
  • The Business Implementation Guide and specifications for the pay event stipulate for the payroll software developers, the fields that must be contained in the file and the business rules. No additional fields can be added to the file.

Hope that helps! Thanks, Amanda

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Devotee

Replies 0

Hi @KYeoward,

Thanks for your post! We've tried to answer the questions posed by JAGCD in the dot points below:

• The deductions to be reported via STP are the same as the deductions that are currently required under Payment Summary and PSAR - namely, workplace giving and union fees.
  • The STP pay event does not require the disclosure of all deductions from payroll at this stage, but may be introduced as STP is implemented by other Government agencies in the future.
  • The Business Implementation Guide and specifications for the pay event stipulate for the payroll software developers, the fields that must be contained in the file and the business rules. No additional fields can be added to the file.

Hope that helps! Thanks, Amanda