• 474 Online
  • 22066 Members
  • 24643 Posts

ATO Community

Re: STP and salary sacrifice

Ask a question

Views 56

Replies 4

Our business employs 3 people, 2 of whom salary sacrifice for superannuation.

Because we are so small I do not use any payroll software and I use the free Reckon app to submit our STP information.  The Reckon app asks for Gross Pay, Tax withheld and Superannuation. It also allows you to Add allowances and deductions.

My question is do I need to record pre-tax salary sacrifice for superannuation, and if so, how do I accomplish that with the Reckon app?

Should I reduce the Gross Pay amount by the amount of the Salary Sacrifice?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Best answer

ATO Certified

TaxTime Support

Replies 0

Hi @WayneFB,

Thanks for your question!

Unfortunately, we cannot provide you with any guidance as to the features of your specific software suite, so you may need to contact your digital services provider if you need help with a particular function.

In addition to the information provided by @macfanboy and @Bruce4Tax, please see our guide on STP reporting. Reportable superannuation contributions and reportable fringe benefit amounts are both voluntary to report through Single Touch Payroll at this point in time. This means if your software supports this reporting option, then you can report the amounts with your usual year to date data. It is not mandatory to report these amounts in your software.

If your software does not support this reporting option, or you choose not to report these amounts via STP, then you will need to issue payment summaries and a payment summary annual report instead.

You may wish to check our list of No cost and low cost solutions for STP to see if there is something more suitable for your circumstances.

I hope this helps, but please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Rachael B.

4 REPLIES 4

Devotee

Replies 3

No, you can't do that.

The App will not allow you to enter Salary Sacrifice.

https://community.reckon.com/reckon/topics/can-i-report-salary-sacrifice-super-on-the-app

Replies 2

That wasn't the question.  I'll try again: Is there a requirement to record salary sacrifice in Single Touch Payroll?  I've looked on the ATO website and there is nothing I can find that clarifies this query. 

Highlighted

Devotee Registered Tax Practitioner

Replies 0

Salary sacrifice super implies that the Total employer super will be more than 9.5%.

This means that the employer will need to show a Reportable Super amount for the employee at year end.

This means that super salary sacrifice needs to go into STP.

This means that you wil need software that will address the issue.

Best answer

ATO Certified

TaxTime Support

Replies 0

Hi @WayneFB,

Thanks for your question!

Unfortunately, we cannot provide you with any guidance as to the features of your specific software suite, so you may need to contact your digital services provider if you need help with a particular function.

In addition to the information provided by @macfanboy and @Bruce4Tax, please see our guide on STP reporting. Reportable superannuation contributions and reportable fringe benefit amounts are both voluntary to report through Single Touch Payroll at this point in time. This means if your software supports this reporting option, then you can report the amounts with your usual year to date data. It is not mandatory to report these amounts in your software.

If your software does not support this reporting option, or you choose not to report these amounts via STP, then you will need to issue payment summaries and a payment summary annual report instead.

You may wish to check our list of No cost and low cost solutions for STP to see if there is something more suitable for your circumstances.

I hope this helps, but please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Rachael B.

Top Solution Authors