Announcements
We understand 2020 has been difficult and we're here to try and make it easier during tax time. Search posts, read articles or ask a question.

ATO Community

STP declined by ATO with no error message

Highlighted

Initiate

Views 1210

Replies 12

Using Reckon STP app for mobile (Android). Software ID registered OK, Payrun data double checked and OK, submitted ok on 27 Sept, but just noticed when I logged into app today that the payrun was declined vt the ATO. When I click on the error button I get no error message to say why it was declined, it just asks me to review and adjust without saying WHAT I need to adjust.

Have already been through Reckon help. Without some indication of the error cause, can't fix the problem. 

We did have some year to date figures in there, and the total in the Pay Run history is the sum of the YTD and the (declined) pay run. When I checked the ATO business portal there seems to be no record of it though.

Confused! Also, as I live in a regional area I have very limited mobile coverage which makes it hard to troubleshoot.

Any ideas please? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 11

Hi @Ouattwc2,

Thanks for your question!

Unfortunately we are unable to provide guidance with specific software suites, but it looks like Reckon have their own online community where you may be able to obtain further assistance if needed.

Since your software suite is not giving you any particular error message, this is going to make it very tricky for us to help you troubleshoot, but I'd suggest trying the following:

• Check that all data for all payees and the payer is correct.

• Try to make sure that the name and address fields for payees and payers are letters and numbers only, in case your software cannot accept other characters in those fields.

• If you are unable to correct and resend the existing pay event report that was rejected, try sending a new one, or an update event. (See "You missed sending an STP report" in the following table)

Failing that, you can submit the data from the missed/rejected pay event with the next pay run and it should fix up the year to date totals for you.

I hope this helps, but please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Rachael B.

12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 11

Hi @Ouattwc2,

Thanks for your question!

Unfortunately we are unable to provide guidance with specific software suites, but it looks like Reckon have their own online community where you may be able to obtain further assistance if needed.

Since your software suite is not giving you any particular error message, this is going to make it very tricky for us to help you troubleshoot, but I'd suggest trying the following:

• Check that all data for all payees and the payer is correct.

• Try to make sure that the name and address fields for payees and payers are letters and numbers only, in case your software cannot accept other characters in those fields.

• If you are unable to correct and resend the existing pay event report that was rejected, try sending a new one, or an update event. (See "You missed sending an STP report" in the following table)

Failing that, you can submit the data from the missed/rejected pay event with the next pay run and it should fix up the year to date totals for you.

I hope this helps, but please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Rachael B.

Highlighted

Initiate

Replies 10

OK, so on advice from Reckon, I sent a "blank" adjustment to correct the year to date figures, but they have still not shown up when I login into the ATO portal to check the STP reporting figures. Only the last pay run on 8 Oct is showing up. How do I correct the YTD figures that should have uploaded prior to this last pay run? The figures are all correct for each employee in the app.

This transition to "single touch" is taking up WAY too much time to sort out for micro businesses. Can we PLEASE go back to quarterly PAYG/Super reporting??!!

Highlighted

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 9

Hi @Ouattwc2,

I'm sorry to hear that you've had this experience!

When you sent the blank adjustment through, was that also rejected? Or was it accepted, but made no change to the figures in the business portal?

If the error that caused the last pay event report to be rejected has been resolved, then I'd suggest submitting the correct year to date figures again as a brand new pay event rather than a blank adjustment. Sometimes there are issues when trying to resubmit a previously rejected pay event report, so starting with a fresh pay event can help overcome those problems.

This can be done either with an update event, or by including the amounts from the missed pay event with your next pay event as per my above post. This means that you will effectively be skipping the pay event that was missed and catching up on the correct data with the next pay event.

I know that transitioning to Single Touch Payroll is a big change to your business processes, and I appreciate that spending time resolving issues with the software is absolutely not ideal. If you do find that the software that you are using is not suited to your circumstances, you can check out our list of no-cost and low-cost solutions for STP.

We are here to help during this transition, so if you do run into any more problems please let us know so that we can guide you through as best we can.

I hope this has been helpful.

Thanks,

Rachael B.

Highlighted

Initiate

Replies 8

The blank adjustment was accepted. However, the year to date figures did not show up in the ATO business portal.

On checking my own MyGov record however, it would appear that the year to date figures ARE showing up correctly in MyGov.

I have asked one of my employees to check their MyGov figures to see if it matches what the year to date should be to test this theory.

It shouldn't be up to my employees to troubleshoot this and I did so reluctantly, but I am concerned that your advice to just rerun the rejected pay run will result in higher year to date figures showing up in MyGov (and thus, employee's tax figures).

I'm puzzled as to how figures can be correct in MyGov but not in the ATO business portal since both would have to travel via the ATO? Perhaps you can shed some light on that...

Highlighted

Initiate

Replies 7

OK, so my employee checked their record and I was right, the year to date figures are included in the MyGov record, but are not showing up in the ATO business portal.

Highlighted

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 6

Hi @Ouattwc2,

Thanks so much for coming back to me, and I'm so sorry that this has been such an ongoing issue!

The information showing in the Business Portal is supposed to be an accurate capture of the data that has been successfully received from your software. At the moment, I am not aware of any reason for the data to show in myGov but not the Business Portal, as once the pay event report has been received successfully by the ATO it should show in both systems. 

The fact that it isn't showing in the Business Portal would suggest that either there may be a delay in the information that the Business Portal displays, or that there may be an underlying issue within the Business Portal itself.

If you notice that this is a recurring problem, it may be best to call us so that we can investigate further and try to get a resolution in place.

In the meantime, provided that your software is able to show successfully transmitted pay events, it may be best to use both your software and the Business Portal to confirm what has been received. If ever you are concerned that the year to date totals are not reflecting in either system correctly, you can wait until the next regular pay event to make the correction, if required.

Sorry that we couldn't be more helpful, but please feel free to contact us if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Rachael B.

Highlighted

Initiate

Replies 5

Having waited several weeks now to account for possible processing delays and for figures to align, I can confirm that:

• Our STP software (Reckon App for Android mobile) is showing correct figures for all employees including YTD figures
  • MyGov is showing correct Gross / Tax/ Super totals for employees including YTD figures 
  • ATO Business portal is not including year to date figures submitted by STP software and is thus not aligning with either our software or MyGov.
  • ATO advice to re-run pay runs is clearly causing issues and should be re-assessed given the above information, until it can be demonstrated that re-runs will not continue to add rather than replace figures in individual's MyGov payment records, as has been reported by others on this forum.
Highlighted

Community Support

Replies 4

Hi @Ouattwc2,

We've escalated your query to look into the matter further for you, is any STP information showing in the business portal at all for the client?

Thanks, JodieH.

Highlighted

Initiate

Replies 3

Yes - the following show up in the portal: * Initial BM software ID update on 27/9 OK.

* Payrun on 8/10/2019 (submitted 17 Oct) OK
* Payrun 22/10 (submitted 22 Oct) OK
* Payrun 2/11 (submitted 2 Nov) OK
* Payrun 5/11 (submitted 11 Nov) OK  (delays due to lack of mobile coverage in regional area)

The following do NOT appear in the business portal:
* Very first run on 27/9 (submitted 27/9) was declined by ATO (ATO down or reckon SBR unavailable)
* Adjustment (nil) 27/9 (submitted on 10 Oct) successful but not showing in business portal
One of the latter two must have triggered the YTD figures to be entered into MyGov but not the business portal.