Announcements
We're doing scheduled maintenance on ATO Community to bring you a bigger, better and brighter online community.
You may see us go into read-only mode every now and then while we do this. Don't worry! You'll still be able to search the site to find your answers

ATO Community

Single Touch Payroll

Views 4162

Replies 3

Hi,

I've only been using STP since July so this is my 2nd time to lodge my PAYG through STP via the ATO Business Portal.

My July MYOB Gross Wages & PAYG paid matched the ATO STP Information so all good.

But this month, one of weeks MYOB Gross Wages payment does not match the ATO STP information but the overall PAYG does.

The ATO shows less than what I paid via MYOB. I had no issues during August processing the wages each week so am not sure what has happened.

I have tried ringing the ATO Business Help Line but just get the answering machine run around & can't get to talk to a real live person.

I tried looked at the MYOB Payroll Centre to look at the Report sent to the ATO, but it does not give you any information.

So if anyone could give me an idea of what has happened that would be great.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Devotee Registered Tax Practitioner

Replies 0

1/ Clarification:  You said "lodge my PAYG through STP via the ATO Business Portal".  There is no ability to lodge STP reports through the portal.  Your software must lodge the report directly or through a third party lodgment system that they have arranged.  if you could please describe how you are lodging the report.  Later on you mention MYOB, their current versions are STP enabled and will lodge from the software.

2/ Trying to reconcile to the ATO information - PLEASE DONT (especially for the next year)

Your payroll source of truth is your own payroll system.  Make sure your payroll system is correct and that each pay period in your system is right.  The ATO will only work off the latest year to date information.  The week to week doesnt matter as such.

The ATO Busienss Portal will provide the employer with a list of files the ATO has received.  Unfortunately it shows the Gross Wage and the PAYGW amounts at the time each report was lodged.  If anyting has changed in your system the ATO file wont be changed.   But your next submission of a file will update each of the employee records.  That is the information that matters.

In essence dont try to reconcile with what the ATO shows.  Fix your system and make sure you are comfortable with your source of truth.  MYOB have just released their next version that enhances the STP reporting so that you can see exactly what has been sent through.

www.icb.org.au/stp for more information

3 REPLIES 3

Most helpful response

Replies 0

1/ Clarification:  You said "lodge my PAYG through STP via the ATO Business Portal".  There is no ability to lodge STP reports through the portal.  Your software must lodge the report directly or through a third party lodgment system that they have arranged.  if you could please describe how you are lodging the report.  Later on you mention MYOB, their current versions are STP enabled and will lodge from the software.

2/ Trying to reconcile to the ATO information - PLEASE DONT (especially for the next year)

Your payroll source of truth is your own payroll system.  Make sure your payroll system is correct and that each pay period in your system is right.  The ATO will only work off the latest year to date information.  The week to week doesnt matter as such.

The ATO Busienss Portal will provide the employer with a list of files the ATO has received.  Unfortunately it shows the Gross Wage and the PAYGW amounts at the time each report was lodged.  If anyting has changed in your system the ATO file wont be changed.   But your next submission of a file will update each of the employee records.  That is the information that matters.

In essence dont try to reconcile with what the ATO shows.  Fix your system and make sure you are comfortable with your source of truth.  MYOB have just released their next version that enhances the STP reporting so that you can see exactly what has been sent through.

Replies 1

Replies 0

Hi Matthew,

Thanks for your reply.

Sorry I meant that I was checking the STP PAYG information against what my MYOB Payroll records were for the month.

I have taken on board what you said and will work off & keep all my MYOB Payroll records as my "source" information as I have prior to STP.

Thanks again.

Bronwyn