Announcements
We’re in read-only mode while we do some scheduled maintenance to bring you a bigger, better and brighter online community.
You can still search the site to find answers or take a look at our current top 10 questions.

ATO Community

Re: Single touch payroll

Views 2007

Replies 3

I have over 20 employees and I don't have a software provider. Is there a way I can report the wages using Single Touch Payroll directly to the ATO?

Thank you for your time in answering this question!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Former Community Support

Replies 2

Hi @Gaby,

Welcome to our Community!

You can report through Single Touch Payroll (STP) in one of the following ways:

• Report from your current payroll solution when it is STP-ready (a payroll solution is the accounting, business management or payroll software you use to run your payroll and pay your employees).
  • Report from a new payroll solution which is STP-ready.
  • Ask a third party, such as your registered agent, to report through STP on your behalf.

You may need to choose a new payroll solution if:

• you currently report to us on paper
  • your existing payroll solution will not offer Single Touch Payroll (STP) reporting
  • you want a product that better suits your business needs.

You should make sure your payroll solution offers STP reporting or speak to your registered agent to find out which payroll solution best suits you. You can also check the ABSIA product catalogue.

You can find further information about Single Touch payroll on our website, or alternatively you can phone us on 13 28 61 between8am - 6pm, Monday to Friday to speak with an operator.

Thanks, JodieH.

3 REPLIES 3

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Former Community Support

Replies 2

Hi @Gaby,

Welcome to our Community!

You can report through Single Touch Payroll (STP) in one of the following ways:

• Report from your current payroll solution when it is STP-ready (a payroll solution is the accounting, business management or payroll software you use to run your payroll and pay your employees).
  • Report from a new payroll solution which is STP-ready.
  • Ask a third party, such as your registered agent, to report through STP on your behalf.

You may need to choose a new payroll solution if:

• you currently report to us on paper
  • your existing payroll solution will not offer Single Touch Payroll (STP) reporting
  • you want a product that better suits your business needs.

You should make sure your payroll solution offers STP reporting or speak to your registered agent to find out which payroll solution best suits you. You can also check the ABSIA product catalogue.

You can find further information about Single Touch payroll on our website, or alternatively you can phone us on 13 28 61 between8am - 6pm, Monday to Friday to speak with an operator.

Thanks, JodieH.

Replies 1

Hello,

On other posts it's mentioned that a third party provider can be used. Does that mean that I can supply a file to another company and they can convert and send it? i really dont want to upgrade my payroll software. 

Someone has mentioned that i need to have a product ID, can i get a product ID without compliant software? Are product IDs necessary if someone else converts and sends? i wont be using a registered tax agent.

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Superfreak,

Thanks for getting in touch. Legislation to require businesses with fewer than 19 employees to report via single touch payroll is currently before parliament, and won't be law until the bill passes and receives Royal Assent.

We're working with software developers and have asked them to build low-cost STP solutions at or below $10 per month for micro employers – including simple payroll software, mobile phone apps and portals. We're also looking at reporting option for small business with 1-4 employees.

You can find more information on STP for small business owners over on our website.