ATO Community

Home Tutor Car Expenses

Ask a question
Highlighted

I'm new

Views 96

Replies 2

I have recently registered an ABN for a small home tutoring service that I am beginning to run. I have registered as a sole trader and the location of my business is set as my home address, but obviously I will need to travel from home to student's houses in order to work. I was curious as to whether these trips are excluded as they are between home and work, or whether they are deductible as the business is managed from my home address and therefore might be treated in the same way as a home business?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Best answer

Master

Replies 0

Sounds to me like you are running your business from your home so you can claim trips related to the business such as driving to see students. Have a read of the information about claiming a tax deduction for expenses for a home based business

2 REPLIES 2

Best answer

Master

Replies 0

Sounds to me like you are running your business from your home so you can claim trips related to the business such as driving to see students. Have a read of the information about claiming a tax deduction for expenses for a home based business

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @jpguthrie,

Welcome to our Community!

@wonka5 is correct - you can claim the cost of trips between your home and other places if the travel is for business purposes and you're operating a home-based business. Further information regarding motor vehicle expenses for a home-based business is available on our website.

Thanks, @NelsonS

Top Solution Authors