Announcements
We understand that 2020 has been a difficult year but we're here to try and make it a little easier for you during tax time. You can search other people's posts, read our articles or ask your own question.

ATO Community

Re: AFO Refund - cheque to my business name but business now closed

Highlighted

Views 2646

Replies 3

Hi there,

I closed down my business 2 years ago, aswell as the bank accounts associated.

I've been audited, and worked in my favour.

However the cheque is made out to my business, but not me. No other people or parties involved.

How am I able to deposit this cheque?

Cheers.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

Initiate

Replies 1

Hi,

this really depends on what entity structure you were registered as.

- if you were a sole trader, you can contact the ATO on 13 28 66 to remove your trading naem and the cheque can then be reissued in your legal name

-if it is for a company that has been deregistered with ASIC you can request that teh cheque be reissud to ASIC who can then distribute it to the relevant persons

- an alternate option if you have a tax agent is that they may be able to request a replacement refund be issued directly into their trust bank account on your behalf then they can distrube it to you as necessary.

Hope this helps Smiley Happy

Tash

Please note this is my personal view; I’m an ATO employee who chooses to help out here in my own time

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @gevaudan,

Welcome to our Community!

Just to make sure we provide you with the right information, can you confirm:

• that the cheque you've received was issued by us?
  • what kind of business did you have? Were you a sole trader, company or partnership?

Thanks.

Highlighted

Best answer

Initiate

Replies 1

Hi,

this really depends on what entity structure you were registered as.

- if you were a sole trader, you can contact the ATO on 13 28 66 to remove your trading naem and the cheque can then be reissued in your legal name

-if it is for a company that has been deregistered with ASIC you can request that teh cheque be reissud to ASIC who can then distribute it to the relevant persons

- an alternate option if you have a tax agent is that they may be able to request a replacement refund be issued directly into their trust bank account on your behalf then they can distrube it to you as necessary.

Hope this helps Smiley Happy

Tash

Please note this is my personal view; I’m an ATO employee who chooses to help out here in my own time

Highlighted

Replies 0

Thank you Tash, I very much appreciate your response.

All the best.