Announcements
Worried you’re missing part of your refund? Remember, the low and middle income tax offset isn’t a refund on its own – it’s used to offset (or reduce) the amount of tax you pay. The offset amount you may be entitled to is automatically applied and could range between $255-$1080, depending on things like your taxable income and how much tax you’ve paid.
Still not sure? Ask the Community

ATO Community

Can my husband employ me as his staff? He is a sole trader (cleaner)

Views 129

Replies 1

Hi everyone!

I recently arrived here in Australia on a permanent visa. My husband works as a sole trader (cleaner). He would like me to help him on cleaning. I already got my TFN. Can someone tell us if he can employ me as his staff or not? And if yes how is the process because he is also new to ABN/Sole trader he used to be an employee too so employing someone is new to him with paying taxes etc.  Do we have documents to submit?

I hope I made myself clear with my questions. Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @fayecee23,

Yes, your husband can employ you. Once he employs you, each pay he will need to withhold an amount known as pay as you go withholding (PAYGW) and pay that amount to us. Your husband will need to pay you Superannuation if your pay is $450 or more each calendar month. Your husband may need to set up single touch payroll (STP) to report his employee's income. As an employee you will need to provide a tax file number declaration to your employer to avoid paying tax at the highest rate. 

I have found some information that may help you. Information about PAYGW, Tax file number declaration and Superannuation can be found on our website. More information about hiring employees on Fairwork Ombudsman.

Hope this helps!

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @fayecee23,

Yes, your husband can employ you. Once he employs you, each pay he will need to withhold an amount known as pay as you go withholding (PAYGW) and pay that amount to us. Your husband will need to pay you Superannuation if your pay is $450 or more each calendar month. Your husband may need to set up single touch payroll (STP) to report his employee's income. As an employee you will need to provide a tax file number declaration to your employer to avoid paying tax at the highest rate. 

I have found some information that may help you. Information about PAYGW, Tax file number declaration and Superannuation can be found on our website. More information about hiring employees on Fairwork Ombudsman.

Hope this helps!